• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ conversion and gears done!!

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Well after almost two years I finally got my D30 converted to WJ outers, installed 4.11 gears and a front TrueTrac. When the 8.25 was apart I put new springs in the No-Slip.

The test drive was a 1200 mile trip to Colorado, talk about trust in myself. In any event I am very pleased and recommend the WJ brakes and steering. I only have 4" of lift but the end result of the earlier installed RE drop brackets and now bigger rotors and tie rod/drag link sterring is a very drivable unit. When looking at all the different angles, I have essentialy designed the "lift" out.

The only change I will make in the future is the location of the steering links as mounted on the knuckles. I used and mounted in the stock WJ configuration. While I now have a straight tie rod, I do not have a high steer and thus the tie rod is actualy lower than the housing itself. The cure is of course drilling and either tapering or installing tapered bushings to allow everything to mount high. At my lift though I actualy run into clearance and drag link/trac rod issues.

For now I am happy and can answer questions to anyone the wants a great, but not easy project.

Angus

Angus said:
The only change I will make in the future is the location of the steering links as mounted on the knuckles. I used and mounted in the stock WJ configuration. While I now have a straight tie rod, I do not have a high steer and thus the tie rod is actualy lower than the housing itself. The cure is of course drilling and either tapering or installing tapered bushings to allow everything to mount high. At my lift though I actualy run into clearance and drag link/trac rod issues.

Sounds like you are quite happy with it. I'm gathering parts for this too.

So, you have ~4" of lift and RE DBs?

What are you planning to cure the clearance problems? More lift? How much? I ask becuase I have a 5" lift waiting to go on. Wondering if I should flip the tie rod right away or wait and see.

Yes I am overall happy. I wondered many times about the ball joints but ended up just using the XJ units and tightened up everything. The front end is tight so we will see about the life. The clearance for the drag link must be delt with at the same time as the trac rod since they are angle related. I imagine I will lift up a few inches but for now I'm enjoying the ride.
Angus

Back