• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifolds

SWAPPING88

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some exhaust manifolds or headers that will fit a vortec 4.3 V6 that is in a 88 cherokee. There is about 3 inches of clearance between the block and the mount. I have the stock manifolds on now and the passenger side is a little to close for comfort. If anyone has any info or knows were to get something to fit let me know.

Late model ASTRO manifolds clear pretty well, and if you look, you can find both sides as either cast iron, OR cast stainless as a shorty block-hugger style. The shorty is what I have on my '88 limited and they clear nicely, tuck in closer to the motor than the S-10 style, and do not go as far back to the firewall before they turn down. If you use these, I suggest that you use the plug wire shields that go around the spark plugs to help save the plug wires from getting toasted. I got my shorties off of a late '80's to mid '90's van.

Thanks that is a big help. One more question when you put your engine in was it offset to the passenger side between 2 or 3 inches? And if so what did you do for the driveline?

My engine is centered on the XJ chassis. I am a T-350 tranny,and motor mounts ANNNND tranny adapter parts from NOVACK. The Novack motor mounts were about $115 counting shipping and fit nicely, the tranny kit came with the mount and out-put shaft adapter, and new tail housing for about the same price as the motor mounts. I really like these mounts and housing pieces because they are STEEL, not cast aluminum, and have a LIFETIME warranty. The tail housing I sold to one of my friends because my tranny was a factory 4x4, so all I needed was the spud shaft to hook up my t-case. I was able to set-up my drive train so that I can use FACTORY length drive-shafts.

Back