• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering Setup

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, im building a new tie rod and drag link with heim joints on all ends. my question is do i need to put a spacer inbetween the knuckle and the heim joint so it doesn't bind? it doesn't look like there is enough rotation of the ball before it will hit if that makes sense. im planning on mounting the tie rod to the top of the knuckle on both sides, and then weld a tab to the tie rod and mount the drag link to that. similar to this setup except the tie rod on top of the knuckle , and the angle between the drag link and tie rod will be almost parallel. any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/steering.htm

Since both steering knuckles are hard mounted to the axle at the same angle there is very little movement required at the knuckle end heim joint. The heim bolted directly to the knuckle without spacers probably has enough movement to do the job. Adding a small shim or spacer later is easy so I'd just bolt it up without and check for clearances then add if necessary. The Heims on the ends of the drag link should have some misalignment spacers though to account for the axle moving for and aft with the suspension.

Back