• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 4.5'' + BB = SYE or NoT

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I called rusty today, because i am 1 paycheck away from my lift, and i'm going 4.5'', with 31''s- i got them for free so they'll do for now... rustys seems like the way to go because it comes with all the parts, the perks of an adjustable track bar, and all the other goodies... like full packs... anyways, rusty said i will get vibes, but not enough to desperatley need a SYE, and he said if anything I probably won't need one - most likely not. I am curious to see if i could add a BB and still not need a SYE, whats your take? whats your take on the rusty's? all the searches give mixed reviews, but iwanted a complete kit, with all the fixins, for under 1000

If you lift it, you need a SYE, especially if you are going to add a BB to a 4.5" kit, which is a silly idea anyways, but anyways...vibes, no vibes, 2" or 10", 1984 or 2001 XJ, if you lift it, you are putting stress on the drivetrain, the proper way is to SYE/CV DS.

i have the rustys lift with the 4.5 lift and it settled after 4,000 miles at about 5 in the rear and 4.5 in the front so you really dont want a bb. but anyways I dont have a SYE i dont feel I need one. at this point I only get vibes at about 75mph. at first they are bad but everything settles no problem. on thing i recomend is just getting a longer slip yoke.

My $.02:

Everyone seems to believe that if there are no vibes when STREET driving that there is no need for a SYE/CV Shaft. Well, when WHEELING, you flex and your rear axle is gonna droop so you will have harsher angles then on a flat surface so you will be more likely to bind.

I know people have varying opinions and I'm not trying to start a debate. But what I just described seems to be a common sense thing yet I've never seen it brought up. So I thought I'd bring it up.

Seriously though, it's more of an idea/question than a fact, so if I'm wrong tell me why.

Ralfy

Big lifts aren't cool anymore. Now it's about the smallest lift for tire size. 4.5" of lift and then adding on to it just for some 31's is going to cause far more headaches (steering, front driveline vibe, decreased caster...) than rear driveline vibe, which you will more than likely experience. Sure, you can survive it, and ignore it (The 96+ 231 cases are far louder) but your passengers will wonder why you're spending money on something that just causes more problems. The cheapest fix for the problems you'll encounter is to bring the lift back down.
And when offroad, the flexing won't move the pinion too far lower then compared to driving on the street (with no gear, spare, or passengers in back, nearing empty on the tank).
I wouldn't call any 4.5" kit complete. If you're on a budget, plan to spend an extra 50%-100% in time and money making crap work the way you want.

ChandlerXJ said:
I called rusty today, because i am 1 paycheck away from my lift, and i'm going 4.5'', with 31''s- i got them for free so they'll do for now... rustys seems like the way to go because it comes with all the parts, the perks of an adjustable track bar, and all the other goodies... like full packs... anyways, rusty said i will get vibes, but not enough to desperatley need a SYE, and he said if anything I probably won't need one - most likely not. I am curious to see if i could add a BB and still not need a SYE, whats your take? whats your take on the rusty's? all the searches give mixed reviews, but iwanted a complete kit, with all the fixins, for under 1000

Don't forget to budget for replacing the rusty's trackbar when it breaks, and the damage caused to your jeep when you go flying off the side of the road, out of control. :)

well i have the rustys adjustable trac bar and its been pretty good to me. the only thing is its gotten loose onces and that it.

Justpunchit said:
i have the rustys lift with the 4.5 lift and it settled after 4,000 miles at about 5 in the rear and 4.5 in the front so you really dont want a bb. but anyways I dont have a SYE i dont feel I need one. at this point I only get vibes at about 75mph. at first they are bad but everything settles no problem. on thing i recomend is just getting a longer slip yoke.
There is no such thing as "minor" vibes,it is causing premature wear on the drivetrain.

I've ridden in a number of lifted jeeps with out a SYE, in each case their owners claim that they are not getting vibes, but there is absolutely no comparison between their ride quality and mine with the SYE.

To the original question:

I would say it isnt an ABSOLUTE neccesity, however at anything over 6" of lift a slip yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft are highly reccomended. Depends on your tolerance level. I.E. tolerance for changing u-joings, or for vibration, or for the amount of actual wheeling you'll get from it. If you only head out once or twice a year for some mild running, and wont repeatedly put the d.s. in a position where it is prone to binding up then you might be alright. On the other hand, if youre all over the trails flexing it out, youll eventually put shaft ear into pinion ear and, well.... boom.

well, my wheeling right now is nothing crazy - i'm seriously considering going down to 3'' and BB 2'' - then again, i could go 4.5'' and get a SYE then BB 2''... i need some help!!!

perhaps look at re, however you havent even got the lift why ask about a bb now? do you want 6.5" or just curious. there is a chance that at 4.5 you will need it too.

baldwinwb, what the hell does ride quality have to do with a driveshaft. it'll cause vibes or wont cause em but sure as hell wont make it ride rough

with my budget and wheeling capabilities, and time, and areas to even wheel, i think i will buy the lift, install it, put the tires on, and take it easy until I can buy a SYE, with or without vibes - this is my daily driver, and will continue to be, so i am keeping the height at a modicum. the 3'' kits aren't as complete as the 4.5'' so thats why i am going 4.5'', i want control arms and trac bar and full packs etc. - so either 3 or 4.5... im still deciding

well - everyone knows what i think of rusty's... and i dont care to trash his product anymore - he makes good coils, and....... good coils...... and CHEAP parts...

fawken put another paycheck away and save up another 500, call Tom Woods, and get your very own AA SYE and DS

plain and simple - the best advice on the board that is pounded into anyone who asks the question EVER -

get the fawking SYE.

get it done.

XJ_ranger said:
well - everyone knows what i think of rusty's... and i dont care to trash his product anymore - he makes good coils, and....... good coils...... and CHEAP parts...

fawken put another paycheck away and save up another 500, call Tom Woods, and get your very own AA SYE and DS

plain and simple - the best advice on the board that is pounded into anyone who asks the question EVER -

get the fawking SYE.

get it done.

ahhh I love it ... its so easy to tell someone else to spend more money :laugh3:

plain and simple
if you are going to do a lift do it right
in the long run youi will spend just as much cash on repairs from not having the sye as you would just getting the sye (AA, tom woods , hack and tap
porc.........etc)
my opinion
pre 97 porc and a DS
post 97 RE hack and tap and DS

ChandlerXJ - I don't know the Rusty's lift and have heard many different things about it so I can't really comment on it. I have a 2001 and I am currently running the RE 3.5" Super Flex with 31x10.50's and it is AWESOME BUT I do have driveline vibes. Since this is my daily driver and I don't want to kill my T-case (among other things), I am adding the AA SYE and a local shops CV Drive Shaft. You could probably get away with not having one FOR A LITTLE WHILE but since this is a Daily Drive I would plan on slapping one on sooner then later. There are NO negatives only positives that can come from adding the SYE. You can probably get the RE 3.5" super Flex for around $750.

Late and good luck.....

Back