• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are there any alternatives to the RE control arm drop brackets???

Twistedimg

NAXJA Forum User
I want some drop brackets and was wondering if anyone else made them besides RE. Seems they are fairly basic and someone with the basic metal tools could make them for less than the $300+ that the RE's cost.

I believe that Dick Cepek made some at one point too. I know that their original lift for TJ's used drop brackets all around as chances are those could be fitted for the XJ with a little fabbing. I am not sure whether or not they have the braces though.

Twistedimg said:
I want some drop brackets and was wondering if anyone else made them besides RE. Seems they are fairly basic and someone with the basic metal tools could make them for less than the $300+ that the RE's cost.

Those are fairly complicated parts to fab, with important angles bent into them. I do a lot of fabbing, and I would consider $300 to be cheap to buy them over the time and hassle it would take to make them. Sure, it can be done, if you really don't have the $300, but you'd probably want a template to work off of.

Goatman said:
Those are fairly complicated parts to fab, with important angles bent into them. I do a lot of fabbing, and I would consider $300 to be cheap to buy them over the time and hassle it would take to make them. Sure, it can be done, if you really don't have the $300, but you'd probably want a template to work off of.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just wasn't sure if there were "replicas" out there or something that would save some cash but seeming that way.

BrettM: I can't find them for less than $300 shipped with the braces and such. If you know of a cheaper price somewhere please let me know. Unless you are talking used in which case I'm starting to look for also.

I can spend the $300 on the brackets if need be but beings I'm now unexpectadly unemployed, every dollar I can save the better.

the uppers are the bitttch but the lowers are EZ provided you got skills (or a friend that does) and a bridgeport millling machine (or a friend that does)

119063643kXvSaW_ph.jpg
viola' -the 2" drop lca bracket-
119063777RBzCak_ph.jpg

119063937TEfayk_ph.jpg

its made from 3"x6" 1/4" wall rec. tubing, w/ bout 1" hacked off the 6" length to make the front part open to accept the lca, bout 1/16" had to be milled of the outside walls so it could slide up into factory bracket, the caster adjustment bolts are now part of the attatchment hardware and a tube sleeve between the stock bracket walls keeps the bracket walls from crushing in when torqued down

or maybe that rec tubing was 2x4" not sure but i hope you get the idea..

Last edited:
id fab yourself some long arms instead of drop brakets, mine cost me about $100 in metal, 8 hours, and a set of RE arms

Goatman said:
exactly. if you really want to fab something, it would be easier to fab longarms than those brackets.

jeepTJ20_4014.jpg

Dscf0064.jpg

I realize that is a TJ suspension, but there are the brackets-- you could call and see if they will sell them individually.

Twistedimg said:
If you really want to make them I have 2 passenger side braces(re sent me 2 pass. braces..I was mad!!)I'll give it to you for a template......cheap.

Just some FYI. I dont think it comes with the braces. I think that kit only includes the actual drop brakets. In the picture it does not show the braces. Also, the kit is the same exact price that RE lists on their website for just the drops. I would look into a little more before buying.

Brian

MN-Cherokee said:
Just some FYI. I dont think it comes with the braces. I think that kit only includes the actual drop brakets. In the picture it does not show the braces. Also, the kit is the same exact price that RE lists on their website for just the drops. I would look into a little more before buying.

Brian

Yeah, and if you read it states that it comes with the braces. I emailed them and asked even more specifically and it does come with the braces.

I stand corrected. Then it does sound like a good deal.

Brian

Hmm, at that price w/free shipping, if they are including the RE9905 brace kit, they're most likely loosing money on the sales, or barely breaking even.

MN-Cherokee said:
I stand corrected. Then it does sound like a good deal.
No need to stand corrected, because you were right the first time.
I called and talked to Chris: $250 is for the drop brackets ONLY (RE9900).
$75 for the braces that you can weld/bolt on for support (RE9905).
I believe these prices are the same as what you get direct from RE.

Jason at jeep outfitters.com has the best price tag right now (as far as I've found).

BTW, what would you do if you were in my situation: ?
-buy RE9900 and RE9905 for $300, a belly skid for $300, and $300 towards a winch, or powertrax, etc. (total $900)

-or buy TnT Customs' long arms (has skid incorporated) and enjoy long arms (total $900)

-------------
'96 AW4, NP 231, RE 4.5", 33s, 4.56s.....bla bla bla.......

BrettM said:
I'd MUCH rather have drop brackets and a locker than longarms and open.

I agree. Long arms aren't going to help offroad ability as much as lockers will.

Back