• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bellhousing adapter kit

XJwnstn85

NAXJA Forum User
Well my jeep is in the transmission shop and has been there for 3 weeks now seems like right after one problem is fixed another arises. The main problem i have now is that the 2.8L V6 is a GM motor and there is an aftermarket bellhousing adapter kit and one part is needed for it. I have checked with mulitple adapter companies including Advance Adapters and it isn't thier kit either. I have a part number (8953-001-495) off of the bellhousing case itself. There is a ball that sits on one end of the release fork and when the mechanics took the unit apart the ball was siliconed into the fitting... obviously this was not the way it was manufactured. The ball is supposed to be held into place on the release fork with some sort of spring device(I NEED THIS SPRING!!!) . Does anyone know which bellhousing conversion this is? Every shop I have tried have no match for the part number.... Also the pressure plate of a cherokee does not fit the flywheel so I am assuming that the pressure plate is off of the Chevy but they still used the XJ clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can suggest is to take it to a GOOD Chevy dealer and see what you can match up. I suggest this because a couple of years ago at NAC-Fest a guest blew his custom clutch linkage (IIRC he was running a non-Jeep engine and tranny). I think his setup was an Advance Adapters arrangement, but he found a stock Chevy part at a store in town that got him running.

Best of luck with it.

yeah Cottman transmissions has done a really good job of finding all the parts for my rig... i just hope the ole ax5 transmission holds up with the V6 running it. I have heard there are problems with this... is that true?

XJwnstn85 said:
yeah Cottman transmissions has done a really good job of finding all the parts for my rig... i just hope the ole ax5 transmission holds up with the V6 running it. I have heard there are problems with this... is that true?
Probably not. The AX5 is what Jeep used behind the V6. Granted the 3.4L puts out a bit more than the 2.8L but if you're not too crazy with the right pedal you should be fine.

Back