• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

inside lights wire off

wilson

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys
I have 92 xj. My ? is how can i wire the inside lights so i can have the doors open whit the lights off in the day for ex.. some kind of selector or one the stock switch/knob?

I've done this before - what you have to do is install a cutoff switch somewhere between the door jamb switches and the common to the light, or between the light itself and earth. Turn the switch off, the domes don't come on. Turn it on, they work normally.

Of course, my motives for this were somewhat nefarious - why do YOU want to do it? :laugh3:

Seriously, it's not that difficult if you have your FSM, since it will have the wiring diagrams and splice/component locators (which saves hours with oddball electrical jobs...)

5-90

thanks for the info. I just want to turn them off like at night like when im in the woods. or I just want to leave the doors open. so I dont have to open and close all the time.
thanks for the info again
bryan

You could remove the buttons in the door frame, then if you need the lights on just turn them on with the headlight switch. JIM.

I just pulled the door switch and cut the soild black wire...Taped it up and screwed it back in...Now if i want the lights on i must turn turn the headlight knob

Back