• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issues and best upgrade?

sjm33r

NAXJA Forum User
I just went from 5 in of lift to 6.5 and I am having steering issues(big surprise there) I corrected the tie rod/drag link form hitting the JKS sway bar but I have some bump steer, it likes to follow tracks on the road. It got worse after my alignment was done. I figure I have some caster issues and need to upgrade my steering. Any advise on what to buy or not to buy. Rustys seems the most reasonable but I have read some negative things about their set-up? I would like to at least get the tie rod away from the axle and dampener a little. It seems my draglink is pulling my tie rod up to much and causing the TRE to pop as it twists up and down as I turn. I would like to run a set up that doesn't make me relocate my track bar, dampener, or sway bay discos if possible. It also pulls to the left when braking now, I checked the brakes, everything seemed fine, could the problems be related? Thanks for your help.

I am running: adjustable UCA
stock LCA but I have some fixed rustys that are 16in to use
RE drop brackets and supports
rocky road adjustable track bar
JKS discos and sway bar drop brackets
4.5 in coils and 2 in spacers

I have rustys tie rod and drag link. Its a lot of work to make it work, but the end result is great. Sway bar mounts have to go. track bar mount has to be moved up to be even with the drag link. And you have to trim the front of the spring perch off, just a little. I have hung my front end on the tie rod, and its still perfectly striaght. I didn't buy the kit. Just the tie rod and drag link. With the bolts and spacers. I made the track bar mount myself, and don't run a sway bar either. Works good with 8" lift, 35s, and long arms. I do have to say i am one of those people that have had good luck with Rustys though.

sjm33r said:
I just went from 5 in of lift to 6.5 and I am having steering issues(big surprise there).

I would like to run a set up that doesn't make me relocate my track bar, dampener, or sway bay discos if possible. Thanks for your help.

I am running: adjustable UCA
stock LCA but I have some fixed rustys that are 16in to use
RE drop brackets and supports
rocky road adjustable track bar
JKS discos and sway bar drop brackets
4.5 in coils and 2 in spacers

Go back to 5" of lift. The only way to correctly upgrade the steering for 6.5" of lift is to go over the knuckle. JKS has brackets that make it easier to do, as long as you have access to a welder. The main problem is the angles, and the solution is to decrease them.......meaning less lift or OTK steering. You can try the Currie steering, which is heavy duty. You'd have to hear from someone else who's running it at your height to know how it works at 6.5" of lift.....it might be your best option.

Goatman said:
You'd have to hear from someone else who's running it at your height to know how it works at 6.5" of lift.....it might be your best option.

i have the currie system with a RRO trackbar at about 5.5" lift...

no issues there...

Back