• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Butt Job

zahra2325

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have an extended warranty on my Jeep, so I took it in so they can check the sagging rear. They told me that both Rear leaf springs will need to be replaced. So I’m taking it in next week to have it done, which sets back my 2” Rusty lift with AAL. I think it would be much easier of an installation since the U-bolts are going to be new and all the parts I have to touch to put in the lift have already been broken loose, at least in the rear.
My question is: after they replace the springs should I mess with them by putting in the AAL from Rusty’s.
And are there any other concerns I should have that I haven’t thought of??

2000 XJ
4.0L
AW4 Transmission
Dana 30 Front Axle
Chrysler 8 ¼ Rear Axle

You should be good to go. The new packs will put you back at stock height. They will also be nicer to work with when putting in the AAL's. And as you already said, everything will have been broken loose which will make the install go a bit more smooth..............:bunny:

Now the fact that your installing a Rusty's BB with AAL's is a whole nother story........... :laugh3:

If your only desire is to get the Jeep a little higher to be able to fit 30" tires, why not just go with a coil space up front and a longer shackle in the rear? I know the longer shackle will wear the new leafs faster, but they're new and I think would last.

The AAL is a decent solution to help sagged leafs when you're on a budget (my situation). The longer shackle on sagged leafs will get you a nice W profile.

Plus, with going with a longer shackle, you can always re-use it if you want to go bigger. The AAL will be $ wasted if you want to go big later on.

There are a bunch of vendors that sell budget boosts that use the longer shackle and spacer solution. RRO is one, but I've heard mixed reviews on their customer service. (my experience with them was fine)

91 Jeep Project said:
It's just a quality control issue. Some people swear by his stuff. While others have gotten the most worthless shit ever produced............. :lecture:
Ditto!!! I've seen a few products of Rusty's come apart while out on the trail. (control arm at the Golden Crack to name just one)

I run all RE stuff. :thumbup:

Highmiles said:
If your only desire is to get the Jeep a little higher to be able to fit 30" tires, why not just go with a coil space up front and a longer shackle in the rear? I know the longer shackle will wear the new leafs faster, but they're new and I think would last.

The AAL is a decent solution to help sagged leafs when you're on a budget (my situation). The longer shackle on sagged leafs will get you a nice W profile.

Plus, with going with a longer shackle, you can always re-use it if you want to go bigger. The AAL will be $ wasted if you want to go big later on.

There are a bunch of vendors that sell budget boosts that use the longer shackle and spacer solution. RRO is one, but I've heard mixed reviews on their customer service. (my experience with them was fine)

What would be the point of getting the leafs replaced just to put on a longer shackle that will sag them out again............:dunno:

91 Jeep Project said:
What would be the point of getting the leafs replaced just to put on a longer shackle that will sag them out again............:dunno:

I seriously doubt the longer shackle will sag out the brand new leafs any time soon. If they do, just take them off, put the factory ones back on and take it back to Jeep :) It is when you put a longer shackle on already sagged leafs that you get issues.

How does Jeep do their factory Up Country suspension? I'd think they'd just use a longer shackle rather than a whole new leaf pack...

Highmiles said:
I seriously doubt the longer shackle will sag out the brand new leafs any time soon. If they do, just take them off, put the factory ones back on and take it back to Jeep :) It is when you put a longer shackle on already sagged leafs that you get issues.

How does Jeep do their factory Up Country suspension? I'd think they'd just use a longer shackle rather than a whole new leaf pack...

Upcountry suspension includes a stiffer leaf pack with the same shackle.

Longer shackles cause saggy leaves when you neglect to extend the bumpstops. This allows the leaf pack to flatten beyond its original designed compression limit.

I think you'd be best suited to put the AAL in the fresh leaf springs and stick with the original shackle.

Lawn Cher' said:
Upcountry suspension includes a stiffer leaf pack with the same shackle.

Longer shackles cause saggy leaves when you neglect to extend the bumpstops. This allows the leaf pack to flatten beyond its original designed compression limit.

I think you'd be best suited to put the AAL in the fresh leaf springs and stick with the original shackle.

I just figured that since so many kits include longer shackles as a component, the origninal poster would be better off starting with those vs. a Rusty's AAL. If he decided to go bigger, he'd have a re-usable part.

Highmiles said:
I just figured that since so many kits include longer shackles as a component, the origninal poster would be better off starting with those vs. a Rusty's AAL. If he decided to go bigger, he'd have a re-usable part.

Your point is not invalid, a shackle would be more useful later on, but a full length AAL (not necessarily Rusty's) would be better for his springs, especially since he is starting with fresh ones. He could always add a shackle later if he wanted to go bigger.

Thats kinda what i wanted to hear since i already bought the front coil spacers and AAL from Rusty.
Whats the thing that holds the leaf springs together called, i only got 2 one for each leaf pack
do they go towards the front of back?

zahra2325 said:
Thats kinda what i wanted to hear since i already bought the front coil spacers and AAL from Rusty.
Whats the thing that holds the leaf springs together called, i only got 2 one for each leaf pack
do they go towards the front of back?

Are you talking about spring clips?

You should have one in front of the u-bolts and one behind in the approximate location as the stock one.

You can get more from any spring shop.

HTH

zahra2325 said:
spring shop? I live in cheese town, dont think we've got one of those.
alternative??

Where TF is cheesetown?

Close to Milwaukee? I would bet there is a springshop there.

If not, get on the net and find one. Give them a call.

If nothing else call Indianapolis Spring and ask for 2.5" spring clips and they might send them to you. Mine were $1.46 each.

Back