• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford / XJ T-5 ?????'s

xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
I know this question has been asked before, but I hav'nt seen a clear explanation. It is probably a really stupid question but I need to be certain on this for my XJ Project. Will the T-5 Ford put behind the mustang bolt up to the stock 86 Cherokee NP207 Transfer case and trans mounts. Ignore the bellhousing and motor applications cause I am using a totally different motor and bellhousing that will bolt to the Ford T-5. I just need to know what to expect on the other end.

The transfer case mounts behind the transmission. A Mustang T-5 is set up to mate with a driveshaft at the aft end, not to mate with a transfer case. You would have to remove the back section of the transmission housing (if there is a back section -- I can't recall ever seeing a T-5) and replace it with one intended for a transfer case.

Eagle said:
A Mustang T-5 is set up to mate with a driveshaft at the aft end, not to mate with a transfer case. You would have to remove the back section of the transmission housing (if there is a back section -- I can't recall ever seeing a T-5) and replace it with one intended for a transfer case.
You are absolutly correct. The tail housing would have to be changed. But didn't jeep put T-5's in some applications? Could the tail housings be interchanged? If not, where the T-5 mounts to the bellhousing, are they the same bolt pattern?

Easy way around the "Mustang" T5 problem, don't use it.
You seem to forget, or not know that Jeea/AMC used that trans as well. The Eagles and 80-86 CJ7s used them with the right adaptor and a 23 spline output.

I dont think the mustang t-5 and older 'truck' t-5 are all that similar. I would look to a truck trans, like out of a f150. If you are running a 302 or 351 it would be an easy install. The 90-up f150's had hydraulic clutches, decent 5 speeds, and a decent Borg Warner t-case. Only issue may be size, might be alittle big to cram under an xj trans tunnel.

Back