• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 starting to go...... what to do?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, my np231 is starting to go, too bad i did my SYE recently ;( could have done all at once... anywya, here is the q's i have:

1. easy to rebuild? (i can change an alternator, shocks, springs etc) on scale from 1 to 10 i would say im somewhere around 6.

2. If not easy to rebuild by ys, rebuild? or buy used one? from junk yard?

3. How much should it cost to rebuild it?

4. Can i buy the parts for rebuild somewhere, to make this thing cheaper?
Thanks for answers guys:) appreciate that.

btw..im hearing a noise coming from the case, in 2wd and 4wd ...more in 4wd...
its a 98 with auto and 150k kilometers....

oh yes, of course, fluid level was checked, btw it leaks, two - four drips a night... changed the fluid yesterday, and it seems to be worse.

checked ebay, there is few, but mostly from wranglers, would these fit? also how many spline is my thingy...? 98 with auto and 4L!

Purple said:
checked ebay, there is few, but mostly from wranglers, would these fit? also how many spline is my thingy...? 98 with auto and 4L!

97-01 cherokee only. spline count unsure. I sell them Wholesale for $350.00 if you can rebuild one well for $450.00-500.00 I wouldn't hesitate.

you mean you sell Tcases? or rebuild kits?

lol... :) ok;) anyway, anybody know where to get rebuild kits?

will do, thanks:) btw, what type of fluid should be used for T Case? someone told me that instead of 80w90 i should have put ATF?

Purple said:
will do, thanks:) btw, what type of fluid should be used for T Case? someone told me that instead of 80w90 i should have put ATF?

if you put in 80w90 I can GUARENTEE you what your problem was. Chrysler runs ATF in the case, not gear oil.

sorry it was the other way around:p i put 80w90 into my diff last week;)

Yes ATF DEXRON III only. The only cases I've seen running gear oil are gear driven cases. And the chain case on my friends newer land cruiser. One piece of advice. Read the owners manual it has great loads of info. Or if youare going to be rebuilding the case (which I hope changing the fluid will fix that noise problem) you might as well pick up a Factory Service Manual which you can get on CD on Ebay for like 8bucks.

no it was red, i made a dumb misteake typing this stuff, because at first i did not know where it came from, tranny or tc..

red91inWA said:
97-01 cherokee only. spline count unsure. I sell them Wholesale for $350.00 if you can rebuild one well for $450.00-500.00 I wouldn't hesitate.
Ahemm...What about a 96 231? It uses the same t-case output as the 97+ XJ, and other than the shifter mech they're the same as the TJ...

ok, called few places, my mech got me a deal for 1200$ cdn... heh...
called some other places... around 1400$ are they out of their fawking minds?
Called a local Jeep shop (Jeep Thrills) they said, bring it in, 400$ will fix it. So i decided to call JB Conversions and get the full rebuild kit take it out, open it and see what is fawked and do it myself. Ordered that kit and they said 5 days. Spoke to John, very nice guy. Anyway, something leaks as well, the problem is, that my Crossmember is CLEAN, but its also soaked in ATF... my Tranny pan is clean as well, dirty but it does not have any ATF on it. and my Tcase has red fluid where the crack on it is(where it splits) like drips... so im thinking wtf... where too look? take of the t case.. and then what? how to determine if that leak was from the Tcase or Tranny?(auto). Can i put my jeep into D and see if it leaks with all the crap disconnected?(ie. DSs Tcase etc?)

Because i cant really see where it leaks! i checked both tranny and Tcase fluid, but i would say, Tcase since its fawking HOT and noisy!!! Also could that be something to do with SYE installed? had it done two-three months ago. Its a AA thing.

Back