• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best winch for money

atomno1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is what I am up against. Right now I have a 98 XJ with 4.5 in of lift. I am using 3in BDS coils with 1.5 in spacer in front. I have a 3in leaf pack with a shackle in the back. The back has a no slip locker in and the lock rite is on back order for the front. I also have a Rigid bumber on the way as well as his sliders. I had my money saved for tires but all the ones that I want are on back order. So I said to my self now would be a great time to get a winch. Do you agree or disagree? If you agree what winch would you get keeping the cost as modest as possiable. If you disagree what would you do?

TIA for the help.

if you don't already have good tow points front and rear get them first. a winch is real nice if you go out wheelin by yourself, plus you can make extra money pulling people out :laugh3: ....mine has saved me many times...i've just got a warn m8000 and it's a great winch
Trevor

i have been looking into a winch for a while now and from what i have found the superwinch epi9000 looks to be the best bang for the buck, fast speed and less money, and it also comes with a roller fairlead and a snatchblock. i would love to hear from anyone that has one because i am almost certin that is what i will get

go Warn or don't bother
The motors hold up the best
they have the best line speed, and they give the least amount of trouble overall.
Shop around and you can get a good deal. One of the 8000# Warns is plenty for an XJ.

TRL WGN 1 said:
go Warn or don't bother
The motors hold up the best
they have the best line speed, and they give the least amount of trouble overall.
Shop around and you can get a good deal. One of the 8000# Warns is plenty for an XJ.

I agree, i've put my warn m8000 through it's paces over the past 3 years i've had it with zero problems. I think I paid around $500 for it on sale somewhere but not too sure....still though i believe warn is worth the money.
trevor

go warn, i have a milemarker. it works good but is slow as hell. no problems though even after about a year of heavy use. would much rather have a warn. well i take that back, one problem. it doesnt free spool anymore. i'll be getting a warn when i can afford it.

Anyone here running the Warn 9.5 XP? If so how do you like it?
Whats better Hawse or Roller Fairlead?

Last edited:
those Ramsey's are industrial grade

Much better than what we buy for our Jeeps

Ramsey's are SLOW and the motors burn up if not rested frequently

T-bent has a warn 9.5ti and I like it. He LOVES it after this last weekend in big bear. I love my warn m8000 little slower but hella reliable as long as the bolt in the box dont back out of the solenoid and you lose connection! (inside joke)

Also rule of thumb with any jeep item when you need it most is when it wont work or it will be broke!

Any electric motor will burn up if misused or abused. Speed is not a big issue for me, as long as the winch can get me out of whatever mess I've gotten myself into, well that's what it's all about.

One of the biggest mistakes that I've seen people make with a shiny new winch is that they consider their rig to be impervious to any obstacle. A winch is great insurance, and just like insurance it's something you hope you never need. Just about any winch will do in a pinch, even a Hi-lift used as a come-a-long can get you out of a "stuck."

Industrial grade or not, they have a good reputation and that means something.

Warn, Ramsey, Milemarker, either one you choose is better than nothing.....or a shovel.;)

Frank Z said:
Any electric motor will burn up if misused or abused. Speed is not a big issue for me, as long as the winch can get me out of whatever mess I've gotten myself into, well that's what it's all about.

One of the biggest mistakes that I've seen people make with a shiny new winch is that they consider their rig to be impervious to any obstacle. A winch is great insurance, and just like insurance it's something you hope you never need. Just about any winch will do in a pinch, even a Hi-lift used as a come-a-long can get you out of a "stuck."

Industrial grade or not, they have a good reputation and that means something.

Warn, Ramsey, Milemarker, either one you choose is better than nothing.....or a shovel.;)

that said, he's right they're all decent names...one thing you gonna remember though is proper mantiance, no matter which one you get it's very important for the life of the winch and possibly any around while you use it.

I'd say warn for another reason: if you need to winch and your remote goes bad or gets misplaced, you have a higher likelyhood of finding someone in the group with another warn then any other winch.
In regards to prices, search around: about 2 months ago I found a deal with it being under $500 (I think it was $460 or something like that, I'd have to find my receipt to be sure) with a free tree saver strap and free shipping. I printed that out, took to my local 4wp show and they matched it.

I have a Ramsey 8.5e and I really like the little guy. It is a bit slow but it has never let me down. I use it all the time. For $399 shipped from Sam's Offroad it is a steal.

shelbyluvv said:
I have a Ramsey 8.5e and I really like the little guy. It is a bit slow but it has never let me down. I use it all the time. For $399 shipped from Sam's Offroad it is a steal.
thanks, although i resent the slow comment

Back