• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj 231j transfer case seal ?

junkjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need the part # for a 99 xj 231j tc rear out-put seal. All of the part stores come up with a different seal than the one I need. The driveshaft has the rubber boot and there is a metal cover that slides on the shaft to protect the seal. I can't find any #'s on the seal. The tail housing looks similar to the one on my 2002 wrangler if this helps any body.

Your best best is to either go to the dealer or buy a kit with all of the seals. You will need a new oil slinger which is a dealer item. To remove the old oil slinger hit it on the portion that sits snug to the shaft parallel to the shaft with a cold chisel. That will destroy the oil slinger but it will come right off.

junkjeep said:
I need the part # for a 99 xj 231j tc rear out-put seal. All of the part stores come up with a different seal than the one I need. The driveshaft has the rubber boot and there is a metal cover that slides on the shaft to protect the seal. I can't find any #'s on the seal. The tail housing looks similar to the one on my 2002 wrangler if this helps any body.

I just did my '96 a few days ago. Seal# 4798117, I no longer have the slinger #
First I tried to remove the slinger as per FSM(method I). I used a brass punch and all I accomplished was to bend the hell out of it. I didn't move. Time wasted 30min.
So I took the dremel tool and carefully ground the collar of the slinger to the point that it was weakened but not all the way through. Then I hit the collar along the shaft with a chisel and split it. It came right off. Time with method II, 10min.
I used PVC pipes to install the new seal and slinger. If you need any more details, pm me.
BTW, the dealer wanted $31 for the seal, I bought the exact same part for $8.75 at a 4X4 shop and If I was closer to another shop it would have been $1 less.

Back