• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Punching hos in da' hood!

Jump This

Just another minion!
This is what I want to do....
Punch holes in the hood...
I'm looking to help the Jeep run cooler during the summer....I live in Borrego Springs....Cali desert area for those who do not know....
I don't want LeBarron vents...or any car type vents. Just holes...during the winter I'll just plug them up with surface mounted rubber plugs.
I know I want to run them as close to the front of the hood as possible
(this area has the advantage of creating its own low pressure, thus helping to vent the hot air as well as help draw additional air thru the radiator.
But it appears as though the cross bracing under the hood would get in the way of proper location....can I just cut out the left (drivers side) brace and not have problems with 'cavition' (hood bouncing) at speed?
Any other potention problems you guys might see before I get started?
Rick R :sunshine:

buy a digital camera and show us what you did

Havn't done anything yet....
and already have a digital camera!
I just want some input prior to cutting...
if nobody posts....I'll just do it later on this afternoon...

Well since ya live near the desert...

Find a nice secluded spot away from civilization...

Take the hood off...

Place at an adequate range...

Paint a bullseye on it...

And punch the holes out with a .50 cal tool of your choosing...

Should provide you with ample ventilation and a good time!!!

I personally recommend the Barrett...

1 mag should be enough

o_2004-08-30-11%20Steve%20with%20Barrett%2050%20cal.JPG

:D

i've actaully thought about pulling body parts off mine, shooting different size holes in them, sanding and painting to keep from rusting.....why put on stickers when you can have the real thing?

You've got about 12" to play with in the area above the airbox. You could easily hole saw 3 or 4 2" dia. holes there and then rivet some mesh on the underside to keep junk out, and throw some magnetic sign material over it in the stormy seasons to keep the wet out. This would be between the braces so there shouldn't be a support issue.

I think it's a great idea. I've considered this but i got negative feedback from everyone I asked. it would indeed look like hell, but I am a function over form man myself. I've also considered making the whole hood some sort of quick release but that might be difficult, hood pins maybe?

get er done, post pics.

oh yea the real bullet hole idea is great too, who needs stickers

Last edited:
speed holes are what there called, applied with either bullets or a pick iron

hey use a bolt action fifty or a 300 win-mag. those semi auto barrets suck arse. no consitency. to many loose fitting moving parts. and i aint met anyone yet with reliable dope for the fifty. firearm of choice for me. use a remington 300 win-mag. with a fiberglass stock. more punch and more acurate at longer range. you could actaully make a nice shot group in your hood with that. just my .02 cents.

Edit: hey ramsey nice avatar...

You could pull the hood and have it louvered by one of the shops that do that.
I was wandering thru the local hardware store and came across a whole bunch of different sized round vents, aluminum, 1", 2" 3" and I been thinking...

Last edited:
5BB0ED6F68058EF

I'm still working on this photo/computer/no sign in/ etc. etc. stuff.
But anyway.....
I liked the idea of having one of those magnets to cover them in the winter or when its raining (like we get winter or much rain out here!)
I could even use the magnet during washing!

Last edited:
Well... No reason why that shouldn't work...

you can always carry two magnetic covers in case it rains hard...

K.I.S.S. principle at work...

man shes hot

When i first read the idea i thought it would look sort of dumb, but hey, i am all for function over style too. But, i actually like the way you did it, i think it looks pretty sweet and you definately should get some good flow from those. Nice work. Around here i need my hood though.

Sort of a thread hi-jack here but......

I was wondering if you could cut a few holes like those in the back of the firewall in the engine compartent which vents into the area behind the hood and in front of the windshield why would that not allow hot air to escape from the hood compartment at idle and "push" cool denser air into the compartment at speed?

Just a thought; haven't looked it over very close yet to check it out...maybe it has already been discussed here...

JC95

Back