• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift - steering pump failure

MyXJ97

NAXJA Forum User
I recently added a 3" skyjacker lift to a 97 cherokee. My steering pump has started whining and leaking. I plan on replacing the pump when I replace the front bumper. I am wondering if I should use the drop pitman arm on the new pump to ease stress, or keep the stock arm. I have stock steering components otherwise. Thanks for the advice.

I've been running the skyjacker 3" for about 2 years now and no problems with the stock steering. I'd just replace the steering pump.

Tire size, not lift, effects the pump's work load, and a front locker, even more!
Thought I was loosing the transmision, my pump was whining so bad. Oil cooler made all the difference in the world.

I went with a psc high volume high presure pump with reservor for my hydroboost brakes but with a added bonus of easyer steering the stock pump with 33 was difficult to turn and if against somthing had no chance, I thought I would need a box upgrade or evena ram but now it is fine.

MyXJ97 said:
I recently added a 3" skyjacker lift to a 97 cherokee. My steering pump has started whining and leaking. I plan on replacing the pump when I replace the front bumper. I am wondering if I should use the drop pitman arm on the new pump to ease stress, or keep the stock arm. I have stock steering components otherwise. Thanks for the advice.

So what is leaking, the steering box or the pump? The pitman arm comes off the steering box. There is no mechanical connection between the pitman and the pump.

Also, a longer pitman will put MORE leverage on the steering box, creating more stress, not easing it.

Back