• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No speedo after SYE Install

grasseater

NAXJA Forum User
Installed a TW SYE kit, now speedo doesn't work.

Obviously a problem with the way I put the speedo gear back into the TC, but I'm at a loss. I pulled it out once, kind of looked it over & re-installed. Looks o.k. from the outside, but I'm at a loss. Any pointers?

No, I just stuck it in (words to live by). :laugh3:

I'm going out later tonight to mess with it after the little one goes down. Thanks for the tip.

Just index the speedometer pinion gear adapter (part with the speedometer gear attached that goes into the T-case) to the next mark on the assembly shaft.
The instructions for the SYE should address this.
On my 01 there are two index settings marked by numbers on the assembly. Loosen and rotate to the next set of numbers. Just did this last weekend (for the third time) and I still line up the index marks wrong.

Edit: third time the T-case has been rebuilt.

Last edited:
I had the same problem after I put in my SYE. I think I pulled the speedo gear off the cable, slid it into the hole and made sure it was in right. Then I slid the cable end into the speedo gear shaft. The "gear housing" is the plate that holds it all in. there are notches on it where the two tabs on the retaining plate fit in. I discovered that it does matter what notches the tabs set in. It has to do with the tooth count on the speedo gear.

Anyway, it might have been just a little different. That's about the way I remember it. It was an easy fix.

Daffy posted while I was typing... Ya what he said.

Back