• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Automatic Tranny Shifter 98XJ

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
How to remove a shifter handle on a 98 XJ? I would like to mount some switches there, but were unable to remove the panel with PRND31-2 markings.

lol... are you serious? what about the button? isnt that connected anywhere? nothing there to disconnect?

Purple said:
lol... are you serious? what about the button? isnt that connected anywhere? nothing there to disconnect?
NO, they're serious. They told me tha same thing so I tried it! That is how it is done.

Sit straddle the console, depress the button and pull STRAIGHT and Hard... it'll pop off just like they say.

We are serious, first time I did it I almost gave myself a black eye.....the button isn't attached to anything, it just pushes a lever on the actual shaft to allow it to go into gear.

The handle is held on with a spring clip. Sit in the seat, shift it to nuetral or so you can pull on it in a straigh line. Grab it with both hands and give it a sharp jerk. The button won't be hurt. Look at it once its off and you'll see how it works. Once that off. Carefully pull the bezel out by the slide area. The whole rectangular piece will come out.

SS01XJ said:
First put on a football helmet. It lets go suddenly.

True story.
When I was working at the dealer, we had a "super" tech we called "the Prof II"(long story). Doing a recall for the airbag mod. he pulled the seat out first and then proceeded to try to pull the shifter while crouching where the drivers seat would be attached. Watching him try unsuccesfully and banging his head on the roof a couple times was great. He was getting pretty hot about this thing kicking his ass. So he gives it all hes got and goes over backwards. Screaming and cussing and his feet on the headliner. One of my favorite memories of working there.

heh, thats funny!!! thanks guys:)

Back