• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix exhaust or get a header or ?

PlainWhiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have a 96 with 4.0 HO, 160k miles. Engine might be replaced with a stock crate or maybe a stroker (that's why I'm posting here) if the noises are what I think they might be. Rest of rig is pretty stock for now, to be upgraded as time allows.

I have a cracked exhaust pipe, at the weld where collector tubes come together.

Air filter will probably change to K&N soon, cat just replaced, muffler stays stock till it rusts through. Altitude is 6k-11k if that makes any difference.

The question is: Should I have it pulled and welded and put back in or buy a new stock piece or buy a header? Does it make a difference in the decision if I keep it stock or go to a little more motor?

Thanks.

Usually welding the crack will only 'bandaid' the situation... If you have the funds deffinitly spring for a header (Borla/Banks) or get a stock replacement - they can be had for ~$120...

Will.

That's what I was afraid of, doign a fix that would not last.

So, how about the stock replacement vs. aftermarket header debate end of it? How does this motor respond to headers with the rest stockish? With the rest hopped up? At altitude?

Fixed mine on my 89, added some gussets.....cracked in different places a few years later. Problem with stainless tube is that the constant heating and cooling makes it brittle. Go with a header or aftermarket replacement.

xjwillyb said:
Usually welding the crack will only 'bandaid' the situation... If you have the funds deffinitly spring for a header (Borla/Banks) or get a stock replacement - they can be had for ~$120...

Will.

He said the stock replacement could be had for ~120... not the Borla or Banks headers.

They have em on Ebay for 70ish, and they actually look pretty solid, and their stainless. I'm still tossing around the idea of that, or a pacesetter.

Back