• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on which Front Coils to go with...?

xjmyjeep

NAXJA Member #506
Unsure whether to go for Rusty's or Rubicon Express's 4.5" Front coils. Are the same, or is one better than the other? Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

-Dan

Rusty's 4.5" coils gave me 5.25" of lift on my 99 XJ. They are soft springs=smooth ride and lots of flex. Plus they were on sale for ~$80 a couple years back. I'm happy.

I had replaced a set of rustys for a friend they settled about1 1/2" and not level either, mine in my ol xj are zj 4.5" and have been in for over 4 years of hard wheelin and still at original 5.5" height. Go RE and never look back

When I had the 4.5" RE springs in the front of my XJ, It was REALLY soft and smooth. I donno the height on em, but they articulate alot better then what I have now as they were a softer spring. (but not too soft)

I like my old RE springs..... even though I mangled them to hell when I broke a bumpstop in front... I'm sure if I wouldn't have mangled them, that they would still be alright today.

The RE 4.5 is the best spring for its height if you ask me....

Now I'm trying to figure out what coils work best at 8 inch. got a rustys 6" with a 2" spacer, It seams to do alright but its really stiff still.

Hope this helps someone...

just a matter of preference. I have had Rusty's 4.5 and rusty's 6.5 inch coils and love them both. I have heard from word of mouth RE are good to. I really dont think you can go wrong either way. but I believe rusty's are on sale right now......

yeah - coils from both companies are talked about as good on here all the time

my RE 3.5's havent been disapointing at all - gave me 4" of lift and still not settled since october... flex well enough, my shocks and trackbar are my flex limiters...

I would recommend the RE's "because" they are a little stiffer than Rusty's forcing the rear springs to work better,but since you didnt mention what your runnning back there???????????????

it definitly depends on what is out back. my ass end doesn't do nothing because my front springs are so soft. it's a real good way to end up on your side. go stiff

Upgrading the 3" Suspension Lift currently on my XJ. Add-a-leaf, coils, and shocks on currently. Have Teraflex Revolver shackles that I want to add with the 4.5" coils that I get, long arms, and a brake line ext. What else should I consider getting done/ buying?

Thanks for the help,

-Dan

id like some input on what do to out back on mine, i have a 4.5"ZJ RE coil and a dakota pack that hasnt been modified (yet) im thinking of getting some revolvers to get the extra height ill need in the back.?

I have always run RE (nothing against Rusty's) and have I like em a-lot. I think stiffer is better, a rougher ride but better on the trails. RE is well worth the product for the money. I trust every suspension component they make.

i have RE front and rear, all i can tell you about them is the front 3.5 with 2 in spacer is about 2 in shorter than the 4.5 packs with a 1 in shackle in the rear ,but i love the set up it works great, a friend of mine has a 6 in rusty's lift and 33 in tires mine on 31's sat even with his in the front and was taller than his in the rear

Back