• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got 6" but need 8"... advice

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 XJ with a Tomkin 6" lift. I am running 33". I would like to run 35". I figure I need 2 - 3" more lift. Is there a way to do that to my lift or do I need to start over. thanks

91 Jeep Project said:
6" and 35's is a good combo, trim to fit those suckers.............. :laugh3:
yep

don't be scared to cut

definatly just trim your fenders. you dont want to make it too tippy if you dont have to. Just wondering, what axles are you running. because if you have a d35 rear you might want to reconsider running 35's. See the following link for a few examples of why you dont want to run too large tires on the 35.
http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Trim and you will be fine. Trim above the pinch seem in the rear, and you'll never touch those fenders, or even be close to it.

91 Jeep Project said:
6" and 35's is a good combo, trim to fit those suckers.............. :laugh3:

x's however many have said it ahead of me. Just stay at 6 and cut

xjj33p3r said:
Trim and you will be fine. Trim above the pinch seem in the rear, and you'll never touch those fenders, or even be close to it.

SPOBI
Trimming above the pinch seam in the back is a fawking horrible idea, unless you have severe fabrication skills.
Making radial cuts 2-3" apart and hammering the excess back will maintain the structural integrity of your rig.
Do a search on the subject, as it is covered *weekly*.
On this occasion, however, it is being covered *weakly*.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
SPOBI
Trimming above the pinch seam in the back is a fawking horrible idea, unless you have severe fabrication skills.
Making radial cuts 2-3" apart and hammering the excess back will maintain the structural integrity of your rig.
HTH.
What are "severe fabrication skills".

Never mind. I just realized that I severely fabricate lots of things.
I guess that makes me a severe fabricator.

I guess I always thought of myself as a consequential, implacable, or possibly a despotic fabricator.

Edit: x2

bgcntry72 said:
SPOBI
HTH.
Thanks for the negative comment, but I've done this to my jeep, and I actually gained regidity. And I don't have a lot of fabrication skills, I just had a friend of mine weld it back together. Use a hammer to bang the wheel well up to where you cut, and weld it together. It takes time, but it's worth the work. Sorry if I like more clearance, that makes me such an ass.

Anyways, back to subject, dont do what I did, Im running 12" and its the worst idea ever, Im only lucky enough to have a pretty wide stance to counter it (a little). At 4.5" and trimming I fit 35's, if you take a set of Stock TJ flares and line them up to the top seam of the bidy line, in the front run em forward to the turn signal. use a maggie marker and scribe the inside of the fender following the flare. Same as the rear but move the flare towards the front just far enough to be able to attach it to the door.

After you get scribed, cut relief cuts all the way along to the line you drew. Hammer it back and in on the rear, add some pop rivets or sheet metal screw and call it a day.

On the front, just cut it the hell out of there. I cut mine evenly all the way to the rockers, when you get that far down, add a couple tack welds to hold the bottom fender to the cab.

What about the Bushwacker Cut-out Flares would they give me enough clearance?

If you look at the instruction's for bushwackers you realize you barely cut anything off. They just stick out really far. I sold mine and used TJ's then swapped to explorer.

Tj flares have more clearance than bushwackers, but don't stick out as far. Now if you can get TJ bushwackers, you'd have a wide fender flare and a huge wheel well.

The Bushwackers WILL provide enough clearance, and look MUCH better than TJ flares IMO. I've seen a few TJ flare installs that look clean, but not many at all.

Back