• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE tell me how I screwed up buying these axles?

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a 1980 Waggy 44 complete disk to disk. Calipers, lines, steering linkage, everything from the U-pull it place. I also got a Isuzu rear 44 Complete disk to disk. Calipers, E-brake cables, brake lines and drive shaft adapter, everything. Both were $90 each. The Waggy is wide, I got 63" roughly. The Isuzu 44 is at 58" maybe 59". I wanted to cut the front down and turn the knuckles for proper pinion/caster angle for lift.
So why are these bad? What am I missing. I've done alot of research. Had my heart set on a Ford HP44 and a 8.8 for the rear. I would of had to change bolts in rear and put in C clip eliminators. That is what I did most research on. So what is wrong with this set up? What is weird about the Isuzu 44? Please tell me.

Don't know about the waggy axle, but if you got the Isuzo out of a Rodeo it most likely has a aluminum housing. This is not a great upgrade and is one of the reasons why people don't use zj d44's. Sorry I don't have any more info for you

you did not screw up you just didn't go the easy way.I think the zuzu rear is what they refer to as a metric 44 the way to deal with this is gear the front to match it. the front 44 is fine other than the re bracket kit will need some reworking to work but its doable I used to run one.also I never heard of the zuzu 44 being alum.

check the Waggy front to see if it is driver side drop - IIRC if the 1980's and newer were passenger side drop.

And the isusu 44 is a great rearend - jsut a little smaller than most of us want.

LP front axle isnt the end of the world - mose situations in a cherokee - there isnt enough power to spin the "weaker" ring gear.

just poke around a little more and ask questions -
wish i had the time / cash to put together a system like that.

-Ranger

You're all idiots, that is a great combo. Waggy 44, you can run true highsteer, bigger ball joints bigger housing. Huge improvenment over the 30. Isuzu rear is the same as every other rear. The only differencs is the metric brake lines and carrier. Assuming your going to gear and lock it, get a detriot or full spool that replaces the carrier and you'll never know the difference. As far as the width difference, put a 1" wheel spacer on each side of the rear axle and call it good. I wouldnt cut down the front at all, having a wider front end will improve your turning radius.

I used to own those same axles for my xj project. You got a great deal on them, runem.

I have a D35 in back and a LP 30 up front. The D35 had to go, and I wasn't in great shape with the LP D30. I have spent alot of time deciding what I want out of my XJ. If I wanted a hard core machine I would just by a frame, a 350, and slap D60's under it. I want my XJ to be good off and on the road. I want to run 35's with 5-6 inches of lift. That's it. I knew I could sink money into the D30, but I figured I would still sink the same (alloys, CTM's, Electrac) and have the bigger joints, brakes and so on.
I knew the Isuzu had metric stuff. The Waggy is driver side drop, non vacume disco. I haven't checked the gears yet. I will be giong to 4.56's, but that would be cool if they were geared the same for now. I doubt it though.
What do I have to do with the carrier in the Isuzu? I've heard about it being different, but don't get it. Thanks alot so far guys. I have done most of my research off this board, and you guys are invaluable!!!!!!!!!

Csudman is correct. Isuzu 44 is a good axle. Con's are buying brake parts are spendy, and the brake lines are metric. The carrier is the same as D44 3.73 and down, just like the Rubicon D44's are.

Thanks Vegas Anthony, good info on Isuzu axles. I've read that thread before when doing research. I looked up my numbers. The Isuzu is 4.10, and the Waggy is 3.31. Bummer. Like I said though, I'm regearing anyway. If they matched though I would run them as is for a while. I'm kind of stoked!
I also pulled a 98 Grand Cherokee booster, master, and pro. valve. I was going to use this for the 8.8. Does any one know if it bolts up to my XJ. That is why I got it. I know it isn't all burly, but it is all wheel disk, so it should do better. Those Isuzu disks are friggin' huge. 12"!
So what else will I have to do for the Waggy axle? Besides the usual perches and stuff. What doesn't fit about brackets. What can I look into for high steer?

God, research is an awesome thing. I haven't been looking at Waggy 44s, but there is a ton of stuff. Okay, now I understand the problem with the cast driverside housing. So here is a question, will Chevy flat top knuckles bolt on for hy steer. I mean just the knuckles, and keep all the Waggy stuff. Also my axle has locking hubs that say Jeep. I thought they didn't have locking hubs.
And last question. How important is it to turn knuckles? I was planning on doing this with a HP44 and cutting it down. I see there is a bit of a debate about that. I think I'm going to. Has anyone actually done it? How did it turn out? Are you happy you did it?

Just a question about the Izuzu 44. What is the deepest set of gears you can get for them, and what about price? If I am not mistaken I think they are expensive. I know CSUDMAN knows about these axles, the only reason I didn't go for the 44 is R&P price and avalible ratios.

Alright, like everyone has said, the zuzu rearend is metric. They use a thick ring gear like corvettes and rubi's, and gears for them ARE expensive. But, everything from a regular D44 bolts right in. So if you aren't going to get a locker, you can run a regular 44 gear and carrier in there with no problems. The only real issue you will have is the fact that the line are metric. So finding fittings that will work is gonna be PITA........... :lecture:

91 Jeep Project said:
Alright, like everyone has said, the zuzu rearend is metric. They use a thick ring gear like corvettes and rubi's, and gears for them ARE expensive. But, everything from a regular D44 bolts right in. So if you aren't going to get a locker, you can run a regular 44 gear and carrier in there with no problems. The only real issue you will have is the fact that the line are metric. So finding fittings that will work is gonna be PITA........... :lecture:
no

they use a carrier for 3.73 and down for gears 4.10 and up - making up for the difference by using thicker (Jeep Rubicon, Corvette) type gears. And i have heard of a few instances in which the pinion shaft that a standard D44 has is way smaller than the isusu d44.

sounds like you have to order isusu ring and pinion - o well - no biggie...

91 Jeep Project said:
Alright, like everyone has said, the zuzu rearend is metric. They use a thick ring gear like corvettes and rubi's, and gears for them ARE expensive.

XJ_ranger said:
no

they use a carrier for 3.73 and down for gears 4.10 and up - making up for the difference by using thicker (Jeep Rubicon, Corvette) type gears. And i have heard of a few instances in which the pinion shaft that a standard D44 has is way smaller than the isusu d44.

sounds like you have to order isusu ring and pinion - o well - no biggie...

Is it just me or did you just repeat EXACTLY what I said???

But, you are wrong, standard d44 equipment swaps over, and bolts right in. So you can ditch the expensive gears............. :lecture:

Last edited:
I got on to an Isuzu board, and everything said is generally true. It uses a smaller carrier, but you can still get gears. If putting in a locker or standard carrier, problem solved. The I44 uses a flanged pinion. However, there is no differences in pinion. aspicer pinion can be put in if desired. I plan on 4.56 or 4.88, and a Detroit Electrac, and I still need a new CV shaft, problem solved. The only thing to figure out is brake fittings. Big woop. I was going to get an 8.8, put in c-clip eliminators, and later on have to get new shafts and rotors to switch to 5 on 5 1/2. I think this is actually a kick as* set. So it isn't a HP44. Who cares? This is going to be much easier to get running. Now, if I only had money!!!!!

91 Jeep Project said:
Is it just me or did you just repeat EXACTLY what I said???

But, you are wrong, standard d44 equipment swaps over, and bolts right in. So you can ditch the expensive gears............. :lecture:

yeah - i guess i should stop reading and resaching at 5:00am...

sorry bout that chap.

happy trails

Back