• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Flare Replacement

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the stock flares on my 89 XJ. I am replacing the because they are tore up and I just fixed up some rusted fenders. Told ones had three metel pieces inside the flare with studs to go through the fender. All of which are rotted and no longer usable. Not to mention I twisted off all the studs. Are these a standard part I need to replace? Is there any other way to make a secure attacment? I bought a complete set of flares inculding the rubber wheel well inserts on EBay for $35.00. But they didnot come with the metel pieces. If I need them where can I buy them? Any help is kindly appriecated.

If you need those pieces when putting the flares back on you can try a couple places like Quadratec or 4wd hardware. They sell replacement flare kits and may be able to help you find the parts you need. Just a thought.

Or if you are so inclined, you could make your own with some sheet metal and bolts. I used 1/4 X 20 bolts, 1 1/4 long to make mine. Cut the metal to match the old ones, drilled the holes and mig welded (tacked) the bolts to keep them from spinning.

Hope that helps!

I believe the flare retainer strips are dealer only, and they are pricey.

If the strips themselves are intact, many people drill out the remains of the old studs and tap for new bolts, then tack weld the heads in place. Stock studs are 5mm. Some people say to use 1/4" bolts, but 3/16" would be closer.

Other people just use bolts with large fender washers and don't use the strips.

Mine were rusted also, i used 3/16 stainless bolts,nuts,flat and lock washers. They work great.

Back