• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace stock front axle suspension arms without lifting

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I have a 1992 XJ 4.0 auto trans with stock D30 front axle. There are 4 suspension arms that secure this axle to the body and allow the axle to travel up/down against the force of the 2 coil suspension springs. This is the factory stock arrangement for this XJ.

My 4 arms are OK but are constructed of just cheap stamped and folded metal. I would like to improve the strength of these arms, but maintain the factory stock height. I don't need long arms, just replacements for what is there and I realize there are many solutions giving different arms for adding lift.

Any suggestions for a supplier that can provide simple but more robust replacements for the 4 factory stock arms?

Thanks!

Pretty sure most companies can offer them in any length if you call.

I know that the Rubicon Express adjustable control arms are able to be shortened to stock length. I bought and installed them prior to lifting my XJ. Worked great and still work great. Adjustable is definitely not required for your situation, but I do know they will work for your situation.

My suggestions here:

Upper

Lower

Would it be worth it to you to weld flat plate to the bottom of stock replacement arms to "box in" the open side?

Your cheap stamped and folded metal control arms are stronger and more durable than you suppose.

WJ lower arms can be used and are fully boxed. Just need some tweaks to make them fit. Uppers are going to be the same.

WJ lower arms can be used and are fully boxed. Just need some tweaks to make them fit. Uppers are going to be the same.

Yup. If it were me I'd snag the WJ arms.

The whole reason those arms are made in a C channel form is that as your flex, they can also rotate. Otherwise you need you need to address the flexibility of the bushings or joints on your control arms.

We learned early to not box those arms, as it limited the twisting, and we tore up lot of arms and mounting points doing extreme rock crawling.

Arms with poly bushings only are marginal. Either Heim joints or rubber joints allow better flex.

If you are not going to change the length, and the arms are not all beat up and rusted, I would just replace the rubber bushings and call it good.

My use of XJ is way closer to daily driver than it is to extreme rock crawler, hence I've not lifted the jeep. I installed poly bushings many miles ago. They are noisy when the axle moves but otherwise I have no complaint.

Looks like the swap is more about cost for me. About $450 for arms with heim junctions as suggested by gearwhine or I suppose much much less for rubber, or nothing at all to do nothing at all.

The heim arms do look cool though...

I found a Word Doc with info someone posted. I do see a difference in reported numbers for a 2" lift. Not by much though. Stock LCA 15.75, UCA 15.00. @" LCA 15.92, UCA 14.88. Other table stock is the same. 2" LCA 16", UCA 15". I noticed I had about an inch of thread left for adjustment on the LCA last night.
I run rubber bushings for my 2" DD. I remember about $109 for uppers and $209 for the lowers. I would avoid Rough Country's, as the UCA bracket is 1/16. Stocks are the same, but they are formed for the through bolt to the axle. So, more area, thus stronger. Also, when metal is bent, it thickens a bit.

Looks like the swap is more about cost for me. About $450 for arms with heim junctions as suggested by gearwhine or I suppose much much less for rubber, or nothing at all to do nothing at all.

The heim arms do look cool though...

Honestly...I gave a suggestion for an upgrade you asked for, but I would have to agree with the many posters stating that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock control arms. I would absolutely keep them if my jeep were a daily driver only.

Note: those arms I linked to you do not have heim joints. Rubicon Express offers two types of joints: 1) a cartridge style flex joint which has no rubber but rather a hard plastic, and 2) a poly bushing with a metal sleeve (as was linked above). If you do decide to upgrade...I would suggest sticking to their poly style bushing.

Replace the bushings, or buy a set of stock type replacements.

Back