• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf swap RE 4.5" to Bigoffroad 4.5"

R

roke40

I don't know if I over compressed my left reaf leaf pack or what but it is visibly sagging in the left rear. I'm running Rubicon Express 4.5" packs with JKS boomerang shackle. The right side is fine. I was thinking about going to Bigoffroad 4.5" springs. Does anyone have any experience with them? It would be a lot cheaper to just buy one RE replacement but I'm kind of leery about only replacing one leaf at a time.

how long have you had them? The first year or so I've had mine, the left...my fat ass side, was sagging noticably compared to the pass side. Now that's I've had them on for 4 years, they are even. I'm not sure if they sagged any, but I'm very happy as where it's sitting.

I even found the RE springs a harder spring rate than what I wanted, and I'm almost positive the BIGoffroad are much higher. I would wait it out, unless the uneveness really really bugs you. It's a lot of money for a little bit of cosmetic appeal in my opinion

I've run the BOR 4.5's for a couple of years. They actually tend to run a bit higher than 4.5". They have held up well with the 4.7L stroker whereas I wrapped my Rusty's the first day out.

I've had them on for about a year and half. It is very noticeable. I might just buy one leaf and see what happens. I guess I she call Dirk and order the adjustable rear bumpstops too.

ive heard that this problem is partly due to the way the road slants down and to the left and forces the jeep to lean to the left, hence causing just the left to sag quicker, this is especially the case the higher the lift, this is what a couple guys told me who have had the exact same problem. anyway im sure you could add a leaf from another pack out of a junkyard or something, im not sure what would work though. hope that helps some
Drew

I was thinking of trying the BOR leaves as well. My RE 4.5" pack is currently only giving me 4". I've heard they start out a little higher than the rated lift, but settle nicely when loaded.

BRPL XJ said:
ive heard that this problem is partly due to the way the road slants down and to the left and forces the jeep to lean to the left, hence causing just the left to sag quicker, this is especially the case the higher the lift, this is what a couple guys told me who have had the exact same problem. anyway im sure you could add a leaf from another pack out of a junkyard or something, im not sure what would work though. hope that helps some
Drew

mine sags on the right...

BRPL XJ said:
ive heard that this problem is partly due to the way the road slants down and to the left and forces the jeep to lean to the left, hence causing just the left to sag quicker, this is especially the case the higher the lift, this is what a couple guys told me who have had the exact same problem.
Drew

Not enough crown to most roads to impact a vehicle that way. Otherwise it would be very evident on rigs road driven all the time. Such as semi's.

Sarge

Sarge said:
Not enough crown to most roads to impact a vehicle that way. Otherwise it would be very evident on rigs road driven all the time. Such as semi's.

Sarge
you also have to take into acount that roads vary from state to state in the slant due to govt. regulations, especially in GA, FLA etc. because of rain, i believe out west roads are much more level, also a semi has a completly different suspension than a lifted jeep so i dont think you could compare the two, a lifted & arched leaf spring is IMO way more prone to sagging than any other form of suspension. i have the same problem on my left side (but i have aal's/shackles) i have several friends who have various leafs packs like RE and Rustys and they all sag the same way mine does, just on the left, i think it is to much of a coincidence that this happens on so many xj's especially in certain parts of the country.

Just add a small block or small leaf to the saggy side. My coils and leafs on my left side sag enought to be noticeable. If it ever bothers me that much ill throw in a stock coil isolator and a little 1/2 inch block on the left.

Back