• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waffling about tire size to run (32-33-35)

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, can I get some thoughts on what you'd do in my situation?

I have the DPG 5" hybrid lift and 4.56 gears.

The Jeep is used to commute about 80 miles a day round trip. I deal with winter weather and salt spray.

Part of me says stick with my original plan of 32s (265/75R16). I'll get my best fuel economy and less wear and tear on the truck this way. Won't have to cut much to maximize the wheel movement (cutting = rust)

Another parts says go with a 33x10.5x15 tire or the P-metric equivalent. Just because I can and I already have a set of 15x8x4BS ARE767s kicking around. More cutting.

Another says hack out the fenders for some flares and stick on some 35s. The difference in fuel economy will be minimal and it'll look cooler. Also, bit of extra height for water/mud crossing. Lots of cutting.

Whaddya think?

r@m

Root Moose said:
Whaddya think?

r@m

What axels you running?Also 35's with 4.56 is pretty iffy.I run 33's with 4.56 and if I did it over again I'd gone 4.88's.Pretty much your axel though is gonna dictate what tires you go with.Just my 2 cents.

I have 4.56's with the 265/75, and I absolutely love it, decent gas mileage, great power, and real good driveability. My drive is 72 miles round trip to work every day.

cloudswimmer said:
What axels you running?Also 35's with 4.56 is pretty iffy.I run 33's with 4.56 and if I did it over again I'd gone 4.88's.Pretty much your axel though is gonna dictate what tires you go with.Just my 2 cents.

HP D30 with lockouts in the front. Full float Scout D44 in the rear.

A lot of guys run 4.56 in our local club with 35s and larger on SWB Jeeps. Probably not ideal but I'd be able to get away with it. Seems that the gearing recommendations on this forum to be a lot more "aggressive" than other sites I frequent. Not that it is a bad thing. Just something I've noticed.

r@m

Root Moose said:
Part of me says stick with my original plan of 32s (265/75R16). I'll get my best fuel economy and less wear and tear on the truck this way. Won't have to cut much to maximize the wheel movement (cutting = rust)

Just for a reference point, I run the RE 3.5 SF kit with 3/4" spacers up front and a 3/4" lift shackle in the rear. I did not have to cut at all to stuff 265/75R16 TrXus on stock wheels on my 2000 also with 4.56 gears. The only thing I don't like about that size is that they are a little narrow compared to most 32's, but that's probably why no trimming was needed.

I run 6.5", 35's and BW Flares, fit is great, I have around 8" from the top of the tire, to the bottom of the flare, but I'm not sure if I would want to make 80mi a day on it. I'm 4.10's, HP Trussed 30, Loc-rite front, 8.8 rear w/ loc-rite.

It runs really well on a nice flat or semi hilly highway, top is around 70ish, but can go faster to pass if need be. Real steep hills are OK, but it takes a bit more work. I ran 33's for a while at 5" with minimal cutting, I just like the 35's a lot more for off-road, granted my 33's were pizza cutters.

I'm not gonna tell you what to get, just thought my personal expirence with both may help. I wouldn't get 32's though, just get 31's at that point and save some money.

Todd

I have thought that the 32" seems like the best tire choice, its a good size, not too big, or too small. Is fairly easy on the drivetrain. And for 80 miles a day... it should maintain a decent ride and decent gas mileage..
I dont DD so I bought what I found the cheapest...

What FF did you do for the Scout D44?

Root Moose said:
HP D30 with lockouts in the front. Full float Scout D44 in the rear.

A lot of guys run 4.56 in our local club with 35s and larger on SWB Jeeps. Probably not ideal but I'd be able to get away with it. Seems that the gearing recommendations on this forum to be a lot more "aggressive" than other sites I frequent. Not that it is a bad thing. Just something I've noticed.

r@m

What style of offroading do you plan on doing?

Ludakris said:
I have thought that the 32" seems like the best tire choice, its a good size, not too big, or too small. Is fairly easy on the drivetrain. And for 80 miles a day... it should maintain a decent ride and decent gas mileage..
I dont DD so I bought what I found the cheapest...

What FF did you do for the Scout D44?

I like the size of the 32s as well. 32x11.5x15 or 265/75R16 will probably require new wheels either way. If I go the 32 route I want to tire treads to stay under the flares. Probably can't do that with the AREs I have now - at least that is what I gathered from researching/surfing.

For the FF I went with the Warn set up. Credit card has been charged - still waiting for Warn to cut the shafts. Debating whether to truss the axle. Scout rear 44s have a reputation for thin tubes.

r@m

cloudswimmer said:
What style of offroading do you plan on doing?

It will be a mix. Most of the Shield wheeling on Crown Land we have here is rocky in the high parts, muddy in the low parts, lots of tree roots, rocks, bogs/swamps. Quite a cross-section. No "big rock" like in the SW US. You can get a feel for it here: http://ovo.ca/gallery/albums.php

r@m

Root Moose said:
It will be a mix. Most of the Shield wheeling on Crown Land we have here is rocky in the high parts, muddy in the low parts, lots of tree roots, rocks, bogs/swamps. Quite a cross-section. No "big rock" like in the SW US. You can get a feel for it here: http://ovo.ca/gallery/albums.php

r@m

If were me I'd probably go 33x12.50 Trxus or similar and trim to fit.

cloudswimmer said:
If were me I'd probably go 33x12.50 Trxus or similar and trim to fit.
I'd really like to run the Truxus MT - this is why I was thinking about 265/75R16. Truxus doesn't come in the other narrower flotation sizes. At least, that is what their web site says. Might be out of date?

r@m

I'm not sure about metric sizes but 33x12.50x15 are pretty much max for a vehicle that plans to be spending alot of time on the street. You said U drive 80 miles round trip a day so this could be alot but with 4.56 or 4.88 gears with the overdrive tranny, U should be fine. Then if U want to go up to 35's and retire the XJ for trail rig only with light driving, U will be fine with your gears. I have 35's, going up to 37's with my full width hp44/9" 5.38/5.43 gears, but I just drive this rig to the trail and back, I don't dd it. U lose to much by going up to 35's on the street. They are nice and big and look good, but they are a big tire and to put 80 miles a day, U will hate them.
Troy

I have the same lift and I waffled between 33's and 32's. I went with the 32's with an agressive pattern. (Buckshot Maxxis Mudders). I wanted Truxus, or Destination MT's but neither offer a 32". I'm very happy with what I ended up with. I did the basic front fender cut up to the bottom of the side marker, and the tires come as close as they could without rubbing. I didn't cut the rear at all and the tires don't touch either. As for gearing, I'm getting 4.56. Overall I'm happy with my descicion to go with 32's.

HarveOut-

NHxj4x4 said:
I run 6.5", 35's and BW Flares, fit is great, I have around 8" from the top of the tire, to the bottom of the flare, but I'm not sure if I would want to make 80mi a day on it. I'm 4.10's, HP Trussed 30, Loc-rite front, 8.8 rear w/ loc-rite.

Todd

so you think for a daily driver rig, 4.10's with the 33's are a great choice?

I have a 3.5" lift and went with the 265/75/16 BFG ATs. I had to trim a little plastic out of the rear part of the front wheel wells and open the rear of the rear wheel wells about 1 ". I have a slight contact with the driver's side lower suspension arm when in hard lock to the left, but it has not proved to be a problem. Given your off road terrain, you need a tread same as or similar to the BFG mudders. With my modest lift, the 32s just "look" right. The ride and fuel economy haven't suffered at all.

I wouldn't go 35's on a commuting vehicle. It is just a lot of tire. The noise and suspension issues go up dramatically with the bigger tires. I guess I remember when we thought 31's were radical. We wheeled the crap of those rigs. I went from 31's to 35's and it was a real big difference. I think for a DD, I would stay in the 32-33 range. I might even go pizza cutters, especially if you drive in snow and crap in the winter.

don't forget about 285/75/16s ...

fwiw, i ran 265/75/16s w/ my 4.5" lift and 4.56 gears and was happy. :)

Root Moose said:
I like the size of the 32s as well. 32x11.5x15 or 265/75R16 will probably require new wheels either way. If I go the 32 route I want to tire treads to stay under the flares. Probably can't do that with the AREs I have now - at least that is what I gathered from researching/surfing.
That ain't to likely. Check out my pic with 32x11.50 on 15x8 4"BS.
740330_29.jpg

As you can see the tire sticks out a couple of inches. To tuck it into the flare you would have to run a wheel with so much BS that you will definitly rub your control arms. You could probably run a tall 9.50 on stock rims but who wants to do that!

Greg Moonan

Back