• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35...what should I do?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Being the Xmas season and all, I thought I'd give all those people who like to post "get an 8.8" another chance to do so. Heck I didn't even have to put D35 in the title, they'll just about say that no matter what the topic. :D

Oh, and this also give Brett another opportunity to say "go get a Toyota axle".

Merry Christmas, and post away, :looser:

:D :D

P.S. Now we'll see how many respond to this without reading the first post.......

4 ton Dana mabey?(I don't know the #)
I've got one out back with 7.10 gears in it, plus it will NEVER break.
I don't know what you'd do about the front but hey, it's a start.

Haha, that reminds me. The other day I saw a YJ on 35's. The truss he had on that D35 almost HIT THE GROUND!

David Taylor said:
What about a a trussed 35 with a spool(if they make one). With ff 30 spline
axles for a super light weight rig ?

Unimog 404's with disc conversion...
Volvo Portals?
Dakota Chrysler 9.25.
Titan D44 thing.
Just heat treat the D35, I read you can heat it up with a torch and soak it with cold water.. indestructable then.. :wierd:
I saw a John Deere with some nice looking axles, lots o ground clearance with those tractor tires...
another D35 that you get for $30...

I saw on the Internet where you can freeze an axle, they call it cyrogenics. It's supposed to make a D35 as strong as an 8.8. Is that a good idea?

I hadnt thought about that.. I am going to have to clean out some room in the freezer for that... once I weld the spiders up, I will freeze it.. oh wait, yesterday it was 5 degrees... looks like the cryogenics thing is taken care of..

Old Nascar guys said that if you leave an engine block out to rust for a few years, then machine it, it is stronger... Looks like I am well on the way to testing this theory as well...

I have a c-clipless d35, I am going to machine it for 8.8 c-clips.. that will make it stronger for sure..

All I need now is the sheild and "S" on the cover of it.. then it will be a "SUPER 35"....

How about retubing a HP30 for rear steer?
Light weight, unbeatable ground clearance, and if built right, they are as strong as a 44, supposedly.
HTH.

goodburbon said:
how about one of those new honda CRV independent setups, those look really strong.

good thought... how bout a Dana 174 out of an Escape.. sure its only got a 6.85" Ring gear... But a 174 is a higher # than a 35 so it must be better.. CV's are strong... and think of the articulation...

hell yeah, then get some custom machined toothpicks......I mean um, axles with slip joints between cv-joints for that added articulation.

We got a tree farm down the road with half dozen 2 1/2 and 5 tons just sitting there that they grab engine parts from, could buy one or two of whats under them...have to convert the air brakes to discs though...

PSSSSSSSTTTT!!! (whispering so it stays secret)....A rear outta '71 Vega...they are hard to find cause they got scarfed up already to go in top fuel cars.

I posted these numbers in another topic, but figured this would help show "why" the 8.8 is such a good option (other than the width is real close and they can be had with 4.10s, posi, and disks with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern).

Dana 30 frontaxle COT: 640 MOT: 2350
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

Sorry, no numbers for the Chrysler 8.25, Ford 9" or AMC-20 Anybody got those?

COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating
Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler (with the typo on the Dana 44's MOT fixed) page 60.

Notice that: 225 ftlbs x 3.83 = 861 ftlbs (4.0L + AX-15 in 1st gear)
Jeep on!
--Pete

crazyoffroader said:
I thought about doing this, but the u-joints are the weakpoint...

Not if you used CTM's or OX joints. Then with a Super 30 kit with 30 sp shafts you're as strong as a D44.........with rear steer and amazing ground clearance. Wow, this is a good idea, I think I'll put one of these in my MJ when I tube it out. It should hold up to 37's, and look at the ground clearance and light weight.

D60's are obsolete......

Back