• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions from ALL and from those with 1 tons, what I plan to do to my XJ!

XJ4linked

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the long title. These are my plans for the jeep and why....

D60 fr
14b rear
Atlas 3.8 or 4.3, can't decide that one, somebody help?
Of course SYE, Twoods driveshafts etc.

Thinking about the Clayton 8 in long arm with leaf springs rear(even considering the coil conversion 4 linked rear).

The reason I want to run the big axles is because I want tires bigger than 35's without having to worry about breaking them(I know I know, they all can break) I'm thinking 36's min and max 37's. That's exactly what I want!!!

I should add that this will strictly be a trailored to the trail rig, no road time. I have asked about certain things in other threads when I should have just started this one, my apologies ahead of time.

What I am wanting to know...which is hard to ask really...what am I looking at here....sound like a good setup. What should I know about the axles(d60,14b), the lift kit(I've researched as best I could between the clayton, RK and the other 8 inch lifts. I know the clayton is expensive but its strong which is what I want. I don't have the skills to do a custom job, but I would love to learn.

What all will I run into when swapping the axles as far as troubles.

One last thing, sorry for a long post, I have been reading this site for a LONG time now and I must say, I have an associates degree in Electronic Engineering, working on a double major in Occupation Safety and Health and Industrial management and will definately move on to a masters degree in about a year when I'm finished with my double, I make all A's. After reading what people know about an XJ on here....I feel like I'm back in high school, you guys are SUPER TALENTED and INCREDIBLY SMART and it blows my freakin mind. Let me just say THIS SITE ROCKS!!!:guitar:

Did you just get your first Jeep or did you recently win the lotto?
biggrin.gif

What tranny do you have? And what kinda trails do you like to run?

Billy

PS - If somebody is selling you an Atlas that needs a SYE, just pass on it ;)

Didnt win the lotto, SYE was thrown in there to run the 231. Trails I like to run is places like Tellico(used to), Grey Rock, Choccolocco Mtn. Morris Mountain. Etc. Now this isnt taking place all at one time, it will definately take time and money.....but is this set up good? Bad? Opinions!

It's a decent setup as I see alot of people running that same layout here and on PBB. The 14B will have to be shaved as otherwise it'll be getting hung up alot. The stock 14B shafts are pretty strong and usually easy to find in JY's for having a couple of spares. The front 60 some will argue whether kingpin or balljoints are better but alot choose kingpins to do high steer. You'll have to have some serious frame reinforcement preferably entire length instead of just under doors. You'll likely have to relocate your gas tank up either half way into the cab or all the way otherwise the 14B usually hits it. You'll also have to stretch the rear axle out to get the tires to clear which means comp cutting the rear. The atlas seems to usually be a pain to swap into the xj as the floor has to be cut and clearanced from what I've seen. I'm planning on going close to the same route but gonna add in a stroker or full engine/tranny swap for more power pushing the axles and tires. Give it time and a few others will chime in that have this setup or close to it as I know the axles will take a bit of fab work if you keep them full width.

nix that atlas and go for a 241 out of a rubi, 4:1 low, cheaper, gear driven, and probly the easiest/best to do with stock tranny and engine.

atlas t cases are really pretty though, or you could to a 231/300 doubler

It's a decent setup as I see alot of people running that same layout here and on PBB. The 14B will have to be shaved as otherwise it'll be getting hung up alot. The stock 14B shafts are pretty strong and usually easy to find in JY's for having a couple of spares. The front 60 some will argue whether kingpin or balljoints are better but alot choose kingpins to do high steer. You'll have to have some serious frame reinforcement preferably entire length instead of just under doors. You'll likely have to relocate your gas tank up either half way into the cab or all the way otherwise the 14B usually hits it. You'll also have to stretch the rear axle out to get the tires to clear which means comp cutting the rear. The atlas seems to usually be a pain to swap into the xj as the floor has to be cut and clearanced from what I've seen. I'm planning on going close to the same route but gonna add in a stroker or full engine/tranny swap for more power pushing the axles and tires. Give it time and a few others will chime in that have this setup or close to it as I know the axles will take a bit of fab work if you keep them full width.

Now we are getting somewhere. What axles could be run that wouldnt have to be shaved? 9"? I guess I could look for a rubi tranny or just teralow the 231 I have? Cuz I definately want to run bigger tires than 35's.

Guys.....the more I think about it, the more I think I will just stick with 35's, I figure for around here and most anywhere I would go..35's would be sufficient, but I don't want the breaking of the dana 30's and the C 8.25. So I'm considering D44 and a 8.8. or would a 44 in the rear too also be a good idea?

Guys.....the more I think about it, the more I think I will just stick with 35's, I figure for around here and most anywhere I would go..35's would be sufficient, but I don't want the breaking of the dana 30's and the C 8.25. So I'm considering D44 and a 8.8. or would a 44 in the rear too also be a good idea?

Search on axle swaps and read a few build threads like Goatman's and maybe the one in the link below
|
|
V

Do a super 30 setup, drop a 44 in the rear and call it a day!!

You said your self all you need to run the trail you want to run is 35s. Just keep your 30/8.25 and get alloy shafts, good lockers, and good gears. Sounds like youd be fine on that set up. If you really want to go 36-37s then get why not go with a 44/9" combo?

Do you have the welding and fab skills to do an axle swap? Do you have the tools it will take, the time, the shop space to lay it all out? Do you realize that you can easly sink $1000 per axle in just parts, go on to ad in the cost of buying the axle, and the labor if you cant do it your self and you at probably closer to $2500 per axle?

Most XJ ppl running 1 tons have homemade triangulated 4 links. If you have the fab skills youll soon find its a lot cheaper and youll be happier in the end to run 4 links with coilovers.

Last edited:
xj4linked, i run 35s with a 30 up front a 44 rear lockers, 4.56s stock shafts. i run all the local parks and only break joints and an occasional front shaft.

OP..... is this your first jeep or adventure into offroading? Seems like you are able to be swayed to change your mind fairly easily. You seemed positive about what you wanted in the first post.
Why do you feel the need to run bigger than 35's? How is your rig set up now?
If you are new to this, why not start with some smaller tires, learn to drive the thing and figure out where you really want to go with this project before you go dumping a bunch of cash.
JMO.

Have fun learning!!

:D

xj4linked, i run 35s with a 30 up front a 44 rear lockers, 4.56s stock shafts. i run all the local parks and only break joints and an occasional front shaft.

I also run 35s with D30 with ARB in the front and D44 with detriot in the rear and 4.88 gears. I have never broken an axle shaft (knock on wood) but do carry spares with me just in case. It is still street legal which is nice as I use it as my grocery getter, but we do trailer it on most trips.

OP..... is this your first jeep or adventure into offroading? Seems like you are able to be swayed to change your mind fairly easily. You seemed positive about what you wanted in the first post.
Why do you feel the need to run bigger than 35's? How is your rig set up now?
If you are new to this, why not start with some smaller tires, learn to drive the thing and figure out where you really want to go with this project before you go dumping a bunch of cash.
JMO.

Have fun learning!!

:D

I can agree with this in my situation. I have a buddy with a nice lifted XJ and I want mine like his. Watching Xtreme 4x4 and reading a lot of magazines doesn't help. It has made me want to upgrade my axles pronto.

Reading about other people's setups is free so I love this site :worship:

Back