• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emiss maint light

It's an automatic timer - and it's under the dash somehwere. Ignore it at will. Per 1990 FSM, the timer is on the right side of the column, and has GRY, ORG/WHT, and BLK wires in a 3-pole connector - if you should want to get rid of the thing. It's usually "reset" by replacement, and why bother?

5-90

maybe the egr is busted or somthing. I am not sure I am getting used to my 89 now. For newer jeeps looking so much the same they are completly different.

Thansk
Chris

5-90 said:
It's an automatic timer - and it's under the dash somehwere. Ignore it at will. Per 1990 FSM, the timer is on the right side of the column, and has GRY, ORG/WHT, and BLK wires in a 3-pole connector - if you should want to get rid of the thing. It's usually "reset" by replacement, and why bother?

5-90

I agree, Why bother!!!! But the dealer will gladly "fix it" for a couple of bills. just a way for the stealer to get you back in for a quick check. or maybe not.. :gag:

5-90 said:

5-90

What does it do? Any harm if you complety remove it? Because I am upgrading to a HO head and intake manifold alot of the emssions things on the jeep will no longer work so I dont see what I couldnt just remove it.

Thanks
Chris

its going no where near the stealership and im too lazy and its too cold out to fiddle with unplugging it now. like i said, it's been like that for like 7 years i think, i dont even bother, its just that a friend said it might be affecting my emmissions. thank you for your answers as i now have piece of mind on that matter.

I had the same thing going on when I bought my '90 a year ago. There's a pretty stupid (as to function of device) box up under the dash that sits there as a timer that goes off at ~80,000 to remind you to replace O2 sensor and check on emmissions systems.

Because I had to immediately throw it through emmissions, and with that light being on, testers arent allowed to pass the vehicle, we just unplugged it and took it through. Passed with flying colors and hasn't hindered anything yet...been running it for over a year now without it being plugged in.

bzdel2441 said:
What does it do? Any harm if you complety remove it? Because I am upgrading to a HO head and intake manifold alot of the emssions things on the jeep will no longer work so I dont see what I couldnt just remove it.

Thanks
Chris
It is a reminder to replace the oxygen sensor, but it isn't a sensor that monitors the O2 sensor performance. It's a simple count-down timer.

There are threads on this site and others describing how to reset it, but most people simply remove it. Just remember that the O2 sensor should be replaced every 80,000 miles. I use 75,000 because that's an even divisor of 150,000 and it's easier for me to keep track of.

Back