• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally getting around to installing my lift

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have had my lift sitting in my parents garage now for about a week and the weather heated up so I decided to start. I got the left leaf spring all the way off and the new 3 inch on there but the left one for the life of me the front bold on the leaf spring just wont come out, we tried WD-40, rust eater, PB Blaster, and a combination of the two and nothing. So my dad thinks we may have to cut the bolt out. We have moved that leaf spring in every possible direction and still nothing. Here are some pictures to show you:

New Leaf
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Driveshaft Being Held Up
IMG_0022.jpg

And the bolt that refuses to leave
IMG_0023.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from the pic how far out did you take the bolt out but take an already removed bolt (all 3 bolts should be identical) and hold it against the stuck one to find out how far did you remove it. If you removed it past the nut in the frame rail, I'd take a ratchet or impact and visegrips (lock them so that they go around the bolt but allow for free sping while still being closed enough as not to fall of the head) and a block of wood. Then I'd leverage the vise grips against the block of wood and apply pressue towards the outside (kind of like pulling it out almost) and I"d hit it with an impact: that should make it spin out. What might also help is playing with the weight on it: I'd support the leaf spring eye as well so that it doesn't pull on it.

Well the where the bolt would meet the body, the flat part is past the bolt sticking down. I think what we did wrong was take the rear off first becase the leaf is resting on the axle and that is maybe causing some binding of the bolt. Because we can turn it with a ratchet/breaker bar but we just cant pull it out.

sounds like the bolt is seized in the metal sleeve in the bushing.. i ended up using the sawzall and cutting it out...

Well we cut that bolt out and we were putting on the new leaf springs when we ran into this problem:

centerpin3.jpg

centerpin2.jpg

centerpin4.jpg

centerpin.jpg

No matter what happnes the center pin will not go into the axle housing for it. I was told I could have the center pin for the D35 axle and not my 8.25

When I put my RE kit on the center pin was just a little bit larger than the hole for it. I took a dremel and reamed the opening just a little bit bigger and the pin just slid right in. Its been fine ever since

Lunatic728 said:
When I put my RE kit on the center pin was just a little bit larger than the hole for it. I took a dremel and reamed the opening just a little bit bigger and the pin just slid right in. Its been fine ever since

same here

Cut it, I had to do that to two of mine.... And had to drill the spring perch... 1/2 drill bit if I remember right, and I hade to grind down the posts (much easier if you remove them from the spring pack, two c-clamps will help you there), but the good news is that they are cheep to replace if you decide to go with a SYE and what-not.

Last edited:
Also,since I dont see any shims you will need to remove the pin spacer or it will bottom out on the axle!

Well I bought a new leaf pack bolt from jeep. Damn thing cost me $8.01 well tonight I WILL finish the whole thing even if it means staying up till the crack of dawn. Ill post some pics when I start working.

See if you can return that $8 bolt. RE uses a larger 3/8" bolt, while the stock size is 5/16" - drill the spring perch to fit the bigger bolt. As an option you can chuck the RE bolt into a drill and hit it with a grinder while it spins...I did that during my initial install but replaced the bolts with 'unground' RE bolts when I put my D44 in.

Back