• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker for an 8.25?

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I'm looking for a locker for an 8.25 rear end. I'm in college so money is kind of tight (but why buy books when I have an XJ to spend it on!) I don't wheel too hard, but I do enough that an open diff. is starting to give me some traction problems. I was looking for something like a LockRight that I can install myself, since I do most of the work on the rig myself. I haven't found info on what lockers fit mine, only the more "common" axles. I know that theres probably a thread on this already, but if someone had something they have had experience with, speak up.
Thanks!

i dont believe you can buy a lockright for that axle, but i could be wrong (i know i couldnt for my KJ and i believe we have the same one.) i ended up going with a powertrax for 355. i love it and its made a world of a difference on the trail. easy install too. take care.

I have a No slip in my 8.25 and really like it. It is much quieter on the road than a lock right. They are kind of expensive for a drop in locker. If I did it again I would just buy a detroit. I know you said money is tight, but I think that the detroit is worth it if you are running bigger tires.I don't know if you can get the aussie locker for the 8.25, but might be worth looking into. From what I have heard they are a little stronger than the lock right, and around the same price.

I've got a 95, auto, 4.0 engine, np231, and on and on

right now its on 225(stock) tires, but im planning on stepping up to 31s, 32s max.

i have a detroit in my 27 spline 8.25.. the locker alone runs arounf $650.. a lil steep but i love it.. i know they make lock-rights for it too.. i'm totally sold on detroits from now on...

!!!! HOLY HOMOSEXUAL HIPPO'S BATMAN, $25 SHIPPING!!! zioks...

I have an Auburn LSD in mine, I think it was around $450 installed at a local drive train shop. So far I am really happy with it, had it installed back in april04 or thereabouts. Oh, 98XJ, 4.0, 5sp, LT235/75R15 BFG AT/KO's.

i got my 8.25 detroit from peakempire.com for $480

Powertrax, cheap, and it's easy to install.

--ron

PS: if you strip the pinon pin bolt head, Ryan can fix it...

sidriptide said:
i have a detroit in my 27 spline 8.25.. the locker alone runs arounf $650.. a lil steep but i love it.. i know they make lock-rights for it too.. i'm totally sold on detroits from now on...

Damn for that much you coulda gone ARB... that is, if they make a 27 spline version.

I have my factory LSD out of my 97 8.25 laying around. Worked great up till I switched it for an air-locker. I think you'd have to upgrade to 29 spline? axles though.

Is the Powertrax really that much better than the LockRight? And whats up with the Aussie locker I heard about? They don't have a price listed on their site.

will that limited slip go into an open carrier or would a new carrier be needed

Back