• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker for an 8.25?

$650 for a C8.25 detroit? ouch...
Powertrax is the company that makes both the lockright and the no-slip.
the lockright will ratchet as it unlocks to allow the outside tire to rotate faster. the no-slip has whats called an active spacer that keeps the engagement teeth appart while your going around a turn, preventing the ratcheting. no-slip is a glorified, upgraded, softer spoken, gentler with the ladies big brother to the lockright. the aussie locker and ez locker are the same design as the lockright, they are just a little bit more PITA than the lockright to install and remove. the spring slots arn't big enough.
The limited slip is a carrier in itself.
Yes a rear locker is a great starting point.

FYI- Dakotas used the same axle with the 27 spline. I found one on ebay a couple of months ago for $55. Only needed the spring and pin kit.

Rawbrown said:
$650 for a C8.25 detroit? ouch...
Powertrax is the company that makes both the lockright and the no-slip.
the lockright will ratchet as it unlocks to allow the outside tire to rotate faster. the no-slip has whats called an active spacer that keeps the engagement teeth appart while your going around a turn, preventing the ratcheting. no-slip is a glorified, upgraded, softer spoken, gentler with the ladies big brother to the lockright. the aussie locker and ez locker are the same design as the lockright, they are just a little bit more PITA than the lockright to install and remove. the spring slots arn't big enough.
The limited slip is a carrier in itself.
Yes a rear locker is a great starting point.
if its given gas though will it lock up in a turn?

I have an 8.25 rear end, and installed a lock right. 4 wheel parts and offroad had plenty. Easy install and works great. I like it.

to answer that you have to first understand the theory in lockers. THey should be called automatic unlockers because they unlock to allow a wheel to travel faster than the ring gear.
basically as you aplly power, it goes thru the driveline, pnion, ring gear, case, crosspin, spider gears, shafts. i nthe case of a locker it goes thru the crosspin then the locker has the inner hubs that have a "ramp" that the crosspin rides up. this ramp forces the inner hub into engagment with the outer hub and thus providing power to the wheels. when you go into a turn, the outside tire wants to spin faster than the inside tire, so the outside tire speeds up, releiving the tension on the hubs and allowing the inner hub to "ramp down". this allows the engagement teethe to come appart and "freewheel" the outside tire. once you straightne back out the ring gear catches up to speed with the outside tire and the locker is allowed to re-engage on that side.

now since the outside tire is free to travel faster than the ring gear, anything you do will only react on the inside tire. accellerating will want to turn the jeep straight because the outside tire is free. same thing with slowing down.

hope that makes a little sense.
Ramsey said:
if its given gas though will it lock up in a turn?

I was thinking about installing the prowertrax no-slip. Now when some of you guys said that they were easy to install, how easy are we talking about here? This is coming from someone who has basic mechanical knowledge and the worst luck with installing anything. If I were to get one would I be better off just having it installed professionally? Thanks.

joecool said:
I was thinking about installing the prowertrax no-slip. Now when some of you guys said that they were easy to install, how easy are we talking about here? This is coming from someone who has basic mechanical knowledge and the worst luck with installing anything. If I were to get one would I be better off just having it installed professionally? Thanks.
Kejtar helped me with my rear one. But then I did the front myself. And I had never taken a diff apart before. And the front is a little harder than the rear.

The instructions are pretty clear. But there are two things Powertrax fails to mention, 1) You will need to grind the c-clips a bit to make them fit in the coupler (and they should be able to rotate freely without binding); 2) The spider gears and side gears don't just fall out on their own. There are a couple of ways to get them out. I just stuck a shaft back it and turned it by hand. That broke the gears free and they fell out.

Just read the instructions, take your time, and be careful of the springs...you don't want to mess them up. As Ryan said, I broke a little piece off of one of the springs that float the cross shaft. But I installed it anyway, since I had no other option at the time. It's been working fine. But I've since bought three extra sets of springs from Randy's and will change the springs when it comes time to re-gear.

The auburn goes in easy, pull axles, remove old carrier, unbolt and press off ring gear, install ring gear on auburn, bolt up, test fit auburn and find you need to grind off a piece of the housing around the 2O'clock position, grind off, test fit, fits, put back in reverse order of removal... You do need a dial gauge though.

C-MuRdaA said:
Damn for that much you coulda gone ARB... that is, if they make a 27 spline version.

i got the axle already set up.. for a bit less than he paid for the locker itself.. was already geared with 4.56s.. strictly a bolt-in... i'm diggin it...

The Aussie is available for the front only, they are in the process of making one for the rear, the guy that is doing the aussie is the original desiner of the lock right, and says he is fixing something in the aussie that he feels he could have done better in the lockright, plus you have the copyright issues....I believe you can get the factory Trac lok for around 160-200 bucks most well behaved on the street

THe chrysler 8.25 requires a custom tool to adjust the backlash. ie once you pull the carrier, the spanners fall out and the adjustment is gone.
the only major trick to the no-slip is that you must absolutly make positivly sure that you index all the parts correctly. this mostly is regaurding the lineup of the active spacer in relation ship to both the side gear and the other side.
the active spacer has a tab that fits in only one spot on the side gear. on the driver side this tab is out torwards the rear of the diff. on the pass side its 180º around facing the front of the vehicle.
I recomend first assembling the locker on the bench with everything lined up. then mark the parts where you will see them when installed.

Whoa! Do all the installs require the special tools or is it just certain lockers? That seems pretty involved to me....

Sorry if any offense was taken... I just found a $25 shipping charge to be a bit much.
Centrevillemx said:

lunchbox lockers, no. because all you do is remove the spider gears and put the locker in. but when you remove the case, then yes you have to readjust the backlash. Its not that dificult to do, but is just easier to toss in a no-slip.
nhrocker said:
Whoa! Do all the installs require the special tools or is it just certain lockers? That seems pretty involved to me....

Rawbrown said:
Sorry if any offense was taken... I just found a $25 shipping charge to be a bit much.
Were you referring to Tellico 4x4? Sure $25 sounds like a lot. But for 2 No-Slips, the shipping was about $32. Plus, I got 10% off during their Labor Day promotion. That saved me $72. So two No-Slips shipped to my door was $670. Plus, I've bought stuff from them before, and their customer service is excellent.

Back