• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb trailer question...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, well getting ready to tow that trailer to Moab and well, just covering my bases. Is there any grease I should put on the tow ball, if so..well..what's good?

THanks,
Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Nah, too messy.
Well, I've never used ketchup personally, but, well, I remember that Beezil is, in fact, an expert on lubes.

Seriously, well, I've never used anything on my trailers.

I personally have never lubed my balls at any time. Now I always put a light layer of oil on my shaft before inserting it to keep things nice and smooth.

Really though, i've never used any sort of grease on the hitch ball. I dont think it could hurt to use some multipurpose grease, but it would just be messy.

I dont think you have to worry about it seizing up on you or anything. I'd be more worried about having your axle bearings lubed up.

-Scott

Reese (the hitch manufacturer) makes a teflon-based hitch ball lube and it's even available at Wally-world. :wave1:

GSequoia said:
Okay, well getting ready to tow that trailer to Moab and well, just covering my bases. Is there any grease I should put on the tow ball, if so..well..what's good?

THanks,
Sequoia

I always used a little chassies grease.Be advised that most of it will end up on your pants after your done towing.
Wayne

Damn GS that is a total ketchup question!

The only thing it will do is get you dirty from running into it or touching it.

BTW, You're towing that for the first long trip to Moab?????????
Make sure to take pictures of that adventure, hope you make it there for wheeling! :D

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
BTW, You're towing that for the first long trip to Moab?????????
Make sure to take pictures of that adventure, hope you make it there for wheeling! :D

I look at it this way. I'm leaving Friday night, the event doens't officially start 'til Tuesday (I think it's Tuesday at least...) That gives me a lot of Oh S&*$ time.

XJ wise I should be fine, got in idea that'll help me on teh hills (but you're going to have to wait for the pictures of it, believe me, you'll make fun of me for it). Trailer wise, well I'm changing out the hub bearings, tires, rewiring the brakes and all that fun stuff first so I should be good.

Well, time to go find a parts house that opens early. Damn idler pully is eating itself and I gotta get to Big Bear.

Sequoia

Wayne Sihler said:
I always used a little chassies grease.Be advised that most of it will end up on your pants after your done towing.
Wayne
True dat! I made the mistake of lending my utility trailer to my brother, who decided it was a good idea to lube the ball. Of course he didn't mention this, so when he brought it back, he backed it into position and I unhitched it and picked up the hitch to slide the cinder block under the tongue.

Yuuuccchh!

Make sure you check the tire pressure each morning before starting that part of the trip. You can never check trailer tires to much!

hinkley

I always lub mine then wipe off, everything that will come off. Just a film in the ball reciever part of the hitch. A little more on the locking parts.
Noticed when I used, a too thick, layer of lub. it picked up sand. scratched the ball. Type of thing that will only cause problems years later, but what the heck, rags are cheap.
Dumb luck, but my trailer has a 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Fold up a piece of wax paper into several layers and put it on the ball. No mess - just throw it away when you're done.

Back