• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage Done

C-ROK

NAXJA Forum User
Got the cage complete.
Still need to remove and finish some back side welds, prime, paint and re-install.
DS%20Front%201.JPG

DS%202.JPG

PS%201.JPG

Some pics of the rear w/ tire carrier.
Rear.JPG

Carrier%20Down.JPG

And the reinforcement of the Chevron pillar bases at the tranny tunnel hump.
Chevron.JPG

These chevron pillar bases sit about 6" rearward of my wishbone cross member and could likely be tied into that as well.

TORX said:
Wow someones been busy!!!

I like the tire carrier very nice what type of lining did you use on the floor?

:cheers: TORX
I actually think I'm going to detest the tire carrier but I had pretty limited options. I think it will make getting into the back tool/parts chest a pain.

The, uh "liner" is "factory rubber". Very rare these days :)

C-ROK said:
I actually think I'm going to detest the tire carrier but I had pretty limited options. I think it will make getting into the back tool/parts chest a pain.

..:)

Change the pivot to the top and put hydraulics on it to lift it up out of the way. :eyes:

Damn! Looks good. Wish I was as talented as some of you guys.

It doesn't look like you can fit anyone in the back seat from the pics. Do you plan on having anyone ride back there? If not, why not get rid or the rear seat?

Copperhead

You can still fit in the back seat. The primary p***engers back there will be our two small boys but you can still fit full size adults back there too.

Greg,

Nice man. This is Jeff with the CamoXJ! I'm in Ky now, kinda miss the rocks in AZ but the riding is really nice still. Just found out I'm only 1hr from Jellico. So gotta go down there as soon as I get my tranny rebuilt. Took a dump on me last time wheelin in Livingston, Ky. Sure do miss riding with ya'll and you guys take care and be safe in Az. Still nice looking rig........as usual Later Jeff CamoXJ

Hey Jeff, Thanks. Glad to hear you're doing good in KY.

Some day I'd like to make it out to Tellico..... some day.

Just curious...you ever weighed it? What do most build XJ's weigh? I got my MJ truggy down to 3675lbs. but , I would like it to weigh less.

BIGWOODY said:
Just curious...you ever weighed it? What do most build XJ's weigh? I got my MJ truggy down to 3675lbs. but , I would like it to weigh less.

I weighed it a couple years ago. With a full tank of gas (30 gal) and my cargo box in it was 5250lbs. Dry/empty weight is probably a shade under 4900.
I've got a lot more weight on than a stock Cherokee. I have the full subframe which is a couple hundred on it's own.

Although I do think you will be safe in it and I dont think your going to bend that cage, its fugly.

azxjman said:
Although I do think you will be safe in it and I dont think your going to bend that cage, its fugly.
:YAWN: A critique from an AZVJC wheeler :YAWN:
Some things just mean so little.......

But I actually think it's kinda fugly too :D

I think it looks pretty dang mean if you ask me. I like the looks and it looks pretty well built-------Kyle

C-ROK said:

Acutally I havent wheeled with them in along time. Just for the fact that they dont do alot of hard stuf.

C-ROK said:

It is ugly... Im kinda disapointed seeing this after your other cool fabed creations.

Maby your cage is like one of those songs on the radio you dont like the first time you hear it but leter end up buying the album. Or not?

LETs go roll it.

Is that A piller bolt on?!?!
Also you have no true hoops, all welds??? Seems like you could have run the exo A-piller and B-piller up and over, and had much more stranth and support side to side. Well bent tube will always be stronger then welds or bolts, that is why most use a hoop design for the B-piller. Don't get me wrong I see the work you put into it, looks like it will save a life even in a very hard roll, but after a few times over I think you will have some problums. I am still in the design work for my exo and your photos help alot, Thanks.

There are many different cage designs that all work well in keeping you alive and protecting the occupant compartment.
The continuous A to A hoop and B to B hoop design like you're talking is one style.
You can also do A to B hoops (door hoops) w/ straight cross bars from pillar to pillar.
This is a Halo style w/ straight Bs and diagonal Chevrons.

Each design is naturally stronger in one area and not as strong in another. The straight B to halo joint isn't as strong as the bent section in a B to B hoop like you said. But w/ the addition of the diagonal chevron the joint becomes very strong.

I am very comfortable with the strength and integrity of the cage......... it's the looks that bug me.

Last edited:
Back