• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Level definition, lifted or not

redxjjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Lifted or not, how would one determine whether or not an XJ was "level"?

For example, would both front and rear bumpers be approximately the same height off the ground (Level pavement) or would the front and rear portions of the pinch seams be equal height off the ground? If nothing is equal (front to rear), just knowing the differences would allow comparisons to be made. For example (hypothetical numbers being used) if the rear bumper is 20" and the front is 18" then after a 3" lift, the rear would be 23" and the front 21".

Hind sight is always 20-20 :wierd: . Before I started my lift work (rear done, Dakota leaf pack, front this week I hope), I measured from wheel center to bottom of window trim (rear) and to edge of hood opening (front) to compare relative differences before and after. Now I wish I had made several measurements at various points prior to lifting. I gained 3" (plus or minus a half inch depending on load) on the rear but have also added an OEM rear hitch and OEM gas tank skid. When I do the front, I can use my current measurements to determine the relative lift achieved, but how can I determine whether or not it is "level" or close to level?

redxjjoe said:
When I do the front, I can use my current measurements to determine the relative lift achieved, but how can I determine whether or not it is "level" or close to level?

Just look at it.
The whole deal of having a Jeep is making it look, feel, and drive like YOU want it to.

If you still have the stock fenders, "level" means the front wheel is 17.5" from wheel center to the bottom lip of the fender flare, and 17.0" for the rear wheel. I agree with Chuck though, having the rear slightly higher is good too.

If the line of the rocker panel looks level then it's level enough for me. I decided I had to do something about my sagging rear springs when I could look at the Jeep and see that the rocker panels were angled noticeably down from the front to the rear.

Back