• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper options, now that BPI Fab is gone?

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
I guess I waited to long to order the BPI bumpers I was wanting. I don't really like paying twice the price of them to get them from Poison Spyder, and I have had a bad experience with them in the past. What are my other options? I am looking for a rear bumper/tire carrier that can handle a 35" spare, with a 2" hitch, that looks similar to the BPI Fab bumper. I have ruled out Four-real, Warn, Durango, Proto-fab, and AEV (I've had one ordered for 6 months now and given up on it). What other options are out there?

I've got a welder (actually 3, mig, tig, & arc), but they are at home. I would love to have the time to build my own, but I am never home. I work for a construction company (that builds steel buildings, lots of welders) that keeps me on the road. I live in a hotel, and work 12 hour days. When I get to go home I usually have tons of things to keep me busy, leaving me little free time. I also need it relatively soon. I've been driving around with no spare because I have no room in the jeep for one (its a 33", I have lockers front and rear and need a full-sized spare), I keep all of my clothes, tools, and stuff for work in there. I agree a jeep is built, not bought. That is why I install everything myself. I would prefer to build my own, but I just don't have the time. So, I don't need anymore welders, anyone know where I can get a bumper?

y2kxj said:
any reason you ruled out those mentioned? Just wondering if you know something I don't.

probably cause they're all ugly, except for the Durango and AEV one, which hardly anyone can get.

I noticed you left Custom4x4 Fabrication's rear bumper off your list. Check them out, I've heard good things about them, except for maybe their powdercoating, but that may have been fixed now. Anyways, its another option.

I know they're VERY rare, but if you can find one, and if they're still made search for Kaymar.

Pic:

Picture558.jpg

I've run Custom4x4Fabrication.com's (C4X4F) bumpers on my 88 XJ and 99 TJ for 8 and 5 years respectively. Except for a little rock rash, they have held up well (even the powder coating). The rear bumper and tire carrier is the best I’ve seen. No rattles, pressed bearings, gusseted hinge pin, etc. I’ve yanked out quite a few stuck rigs with the XJ and even nailed a tree hard with the rear bumper with no damage. I’m not sure what your looking for in style, but you might want to call Mike at C4X4F and tell him what you want.

GPNDave said:
... I’ve yanked out quite a few stuck rigs with the XJ and even nailed a tree hard with the rear bumper with no damage. ...

hmm... I'm not aware of any tow points or a hitch receiver on the C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier.

The only three Kaymar bumpers I've seen and they're all pictured here on this thread.

DSC02427.JPG

Scratch that; one other person mounted one on his 97+. Not something I'd recommend, neither does Kaymar. It works great but takes a bit of work to fit the 97+ and 35" tire.

Well, I really like the Kaymar, but I have a 2000. Here is why I decided against the others:

Warn- No hitch, front bumper sticks out too far on sides, looks cheap (bolted together)
Protofab- No hitch, bulky latch
AEV- I wanted one, ordered one- that was last year, still no bumper
Four-real- Can't handle a 35
Poison spyder- Overpriced, poor customer service
Durango- ugly
Tomken- ugly
Olympic- Only mount to factory mounting points, not strong enough

Does anyone have pictures of the Rigidco rear bumper? Do they make them yet? I'm going to take a look at C4x4.

Another slight problem is that I have bushwackers, and have removed my plastic quarter panel bumper ends. So, a bumper like the AEV, or Tomken's would look strange as they re-use those ends. Will a pre-'96 bumper work on a 2000? Will the hatch hit the bumper at the bottom?

Just a bit of advice - you are going to hate having a 35" tire out back if you use your cargo area all day long. One of the best things I ever did was take off my rear tire carrier.

I think it is too much weight out back for a daily driver, and the swingouts are such an amazing PITA. Get a AAA account and leave the spare at home except when you go on trips.

Nay

Prepmech said:
Well, I really like the Kaymar, but I have a 2000. Here is why I decided against the others:

Warn- No hitch, front bumper sticks out too far on sides, looks cheap (bolted together)
Protofab- No hitch, bulky latch
AEV- I wanted one, ordered one- that was last year, still no bumper
Four-real- Can't handle a 35
Poison spyder- Overpriced, poor customer service
Durango- ugly
Tomken- ugly
Olympic- Only mount to factory mounting points, not strong enough

Does anyone have pictures of the Rigidco rear bumper? Do they make them yet? I'm going to take a look at C4x4.

Another slight problem is that I have bushwackers, and have removed my plastic quarter panel bumper ends. So, a bumper like the AEV, or Tomken's would look strange as they re-use those ends. Will a pre-'96 bumper work on a 2000? Will the hatch hit the bumper at the bottom?

Another vote for C4x4. I have one on my 2000, but I don't have the Bushwacker flares. With the 97+ C4x4 bumpers, they send you steel side panels to replace the stock plastic ones. I'm sure you could get them without or have them build the side panels to fit your needs. The side panels are seperate from the main bumper. The side panels have saved my sheet metal more then once.

DSCN0681.jpg

P1010013.sized.jpg

A friend of mine has the Kaymar on his pre-97, it's a very nice bumper that has had the shit beat out of it for years.

Prepmech said:
Does anyone have pictures of the Rigidco rear bumper? Do they make them yet?

I just emailed em a week ago asking, got this...

Hi Robert, thanks for the inquiry,

Yeah, we're still around! We've really busy just building front bumpers and rock rails. Haven't been able to put in as much time as we'd like on the rear bumpers. But we have been working on the production version. Hope to get something out this next week. I've put your email address on our rear bumper email list - so you'll get info and pics as soon as they're available.

Thanks again & Keep On Wheelin'
Terry at RIGID

Robert

Bulletproof is no more.

Rusty's sells the TJM - very similar in look to the Kaymar.

Also check out the C-Rok.

r@m

Back