• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5 Kit Installed/quetions.......

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Hey whats up guys, I just installed the 5.5 RE kit and 33x12.5 MTRs on my 2000 XJ...

1st question is the rear sits about 1 1/2 inches higher than the front do you guys think I should do a coil spacer?

2nd question is the front has a good amount of bumpsteer I put a steering stabilizer on it, but I get a side to side motion when I go over a bump like the axle is shifting a bit. What do you guys think?

I noticed that when I did the lift I didnt have the bolt to put in the track bar mount on my axle not the mount that RE gave me I had all the hardware for that but for the mount on my passenger side the inner welded nut broke off and I lost the stock bolt so I found another bolt anf put it in, But know the bolt seems to be a little small cause when I move the sterring wheel back and fourth you can see that there is movement in that mount like the bolt is too small and there is room in the bushing. Does anybody know what size bolt goes in that location so I can get a grade 8 or something.

Also I used 4 degree shims in the rear, the local shop only had aluminum shims not the steel ones. Do you guys think I should get steel ones and swap out these aluminum ones??

Thanks for the help guys..

I believe the trackbar bolt is 3/8" or 7/16". Just grab one of each and go with the one that fits the trackbar best with the least or no slop. I think the bolt is 3" long. Don't drive around to long with that bolt slopping around, or you will egg the hole out, and that will make things real interesting.

Definately get some steel shims. Those aluminum shims won't last long before they crack and fall out. The dissimilar metals corrosion of the aluminum between steel will make them brittle.

Did you get the fixed control arms or adjustable. You bumpsteer could very likely be part of the trackbar bolt size problem, but also, your caster could be a little off after installing the lift. Have you gotten an alignment yet. If not, get it done. If so, did you find out what your caster settings are. I'm going to say the biggest problem is in that trackbar bolt. If that bolt has any slop whatsoever, you will get that bumpsteer that will progressively get worse and become deathwobble. Fix the bolt problem first, and see if the bumpsteer improves.

I have the RE 5.5" kit on both my XJ's and have no bumpsteer at all.

As for the lift height difference, you could put a spacer in the front or throw some weight in the back. Those leaf packs will settle in the more you use them.

Thanks for the replies, Yeah I am gonna swap that bolt out tommorow, I got the fixed arms on mine should I have got the Adj ones? I am gonna get an alignment on Thursday so it should be alot better after that. I guess those aluminum shims were a waste i will get steel ones soon. Do you think maybe its a balljoint problem or a TRE problem my XJ has 65,000 miles on it.

Los11 said:
Do you think maybe its a balljoint problem or a TRE problem my XJ has 65,000 miles on it.

I would highly doubt it. Do the bolt and alignment first, then go from there. :thumbup:

While you have that trackbar bolt out, be sure to take a good close look at all four sides of the two holes it goes through. Those holes are notorious for getting wollowed out rather easily. That may be the source of the slop at that point rather than a mis-sized bolt.

Back