• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arms for a 4" lift

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
I have recently lifted my XJ 4".

The steering is aligned and re-centers fine. No DW, no bump-steer. When going over small obstacles (especially when the wheel is turned I hear a clunking like something is bottoming out and from what I've read in a search it looks like I need longer control arms, but not sure which route to go.

I am running 245/75/16 MTR's on the stock axles and this is my daily driver. I will take it on some trail rides but nothing too hardcore - that's what I'm building my other Jeep for.

I'm looking for advice on what arms to get. Keep in mind I'm looking for cost-effectiveness but I want to do it right the first time, so give it to me straight. TIA

Have you checked to make sure it is not the tracbar you are hearing, a worn joint could do that also

I don't think it is the trackbar. It looks really tight. I got under there and had my Son turn the wheels lock to lock and it looked good.

When I say "Clunking" I mean a loud, feel-it kinda clunk. Flying over a speed bump, making a hard left turn and hitting a pothole, going across some ruts on a trail are a few good examples of when it happens. Normal driving/turning it is fine.

Did you add longer shocks when you lifted your Jeep? That may be what is bottoming out.
So you have the stock control arms with 4'' of springs? Even if that isn't you problem, I would get new arms anyway. Most people, including me, like the RE arms. They may not be the cheapist, but they will last.
Also, crawl under your Jeep and look to see if anything is hitting. That may be your problem.

Check your trans mount also, could be the trans hitting the top of the tunnel when it is under force also

Yes I currently still have all the stock control arms on it.

It is a loud metal to metal sounding clunk. Sounds like something is going to break. I've been driving it easy and it's fine under normal conditions.

Man this coil-sprung setup sure is alot more involved than my old YJ. What have I gotten myslef into :wow:

I have to get this thing right...

jeeper821 said:
the lca's could be hitting the shock mount's, you can cut some of the mount off

http://www.jeepin.com/features/superflex/mike17.jpg check this out.
hope this help's

I'll check that tomorrow. That is a good possibility. If that is it, will new longer arms fix that? I've seen the drop kit that lowers the existing arms, but I really don't want to lose the clearance and longer arms will cost about the same $$$

You do need some ca's,you dont need drop brackets.You really do need a good track-bar.Funny thing as soon as I saw the 16's I new it was a 2000.Watch for vibes front(LP D30) and back.

RCP Phx said:
You do need some ca's,you dont need drop brackets.You really do need a good track-bar.Funny thing as soon as I saw the 16's I new it was a 2000.Watch for vibes front(LP D30) and back.

It is a 2000, but it came with 15's. The 16's I bought (16x8 w/5" BS) so I could use a narrow 31. The MTR's are close to 31x9.50's

as for the trackbar, after making the mistake of trying a relocation bracket, I redrilled the stock mount a little over 1/2" from the stock hole.

I dropped the transfer case and to lift the rear I used an AAL and shackle. Fortunately, no vibe issues.

Adjustable trackbar, SYE (for strength), and a front Draw-tite hitch are next on the list after I get the front end straightened out.

pic:
MTRs.jpg

Are your sway bar links tight? I noticed a thumping from mine once and it turned out to be a loose sway bar link.
I also put on Rusty's HD trackbar and mount which caused a problem. Since I am only lifted about 3.5 inches, the bottom of the new tracbar mount was smashing into the corner of the spring pad under harsh bumps when both wheels went up at the same time. A little work with the grinder solved that one though.

Twisted Copper said:
Well the control arms are pretty close to the shock mounts and it looks like they've been hitting because there is a mark on both of them. I guess new arms are next...

Thanks
While this is true, they are only making minor contact and only when flexed out.

The real problem, to which I have discovered today, is that the front driveshaft's U-joint is whacking my exhaust header. My axle is not centered as well as I thought. It is a little to the passenger side and I think this is the root of the problem. I was going to wait a while for the adjustable trackbar but this just made it a big priority.
pics:
fromfront.JPG

d-side.JPG

fromrear.JPG

I just ordered teraflex adjustable lca for my jeep from 4west. I have a rough country set of lca(16.5" and angled so they won't hit the mount) that I could sell(cheap) to you when I get my lca on Monday. They are brand new. I installed them last week, but they are to short. I opted for the adjustable ones instead of shimming the axle forward.

Let me know.

4ESTJP said:
I just ordered teraflex adjustable lca for my jeep from 4west. I have a rough country set of lca(16.5" and angled so they won't hit the mount) that I could sell(cheap) to you when I get my lca on Monday. They are brand new. I installed them last week, but they are to short. I opted for the adjustable ones instead of shimming the axle forward.

Let me know.
Sent you a PM.

Anybody ever seen this happen before??? (front DS hitting the exhaust)

Back