• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" or 35 MTR's with stock gears?

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing the 5.5 RE kit on my 2000 XJ, I want to see what you guys think of 35's with the stock gears I dont care about trimming the fenders but I am worried about the 35's and the stock axles and gears how will it hold up etc. What do you guys think, or should I stick to my original plan of 33's and do the gears when I get my funds back.. Thanks for the help

I just put 35" MTR's on with my stock gears. I gotta say it was alot nicer when I had the 33's on. Acceleration, gas mileage, speed, all pretty much suck right now (even more so then when I had the 33's on). Because the 35's are on, my goal is to get my new axles geared with 4.56's and under the XJ pronto!

But thats my opinion, to others this setup may seem to work okay. To me though, I'd heed ChuckD's advice cause I'm learing this the hardway too.

..... i ran 4.56s and a detroit for 2 months before i lifted and slapped on the 33s.... 4.56s and stock 225s.. what a fun ride that was!!!! just remember.. mall cruisers don't need gears...

mike

Plan on burning up your trans with stock gears and 35's. I wouldent even recomend 33's with stock gears. If your going to do something do it right.

This thread rates :01of5: hasta

Just click the link that bgcntry72 provided above, there's nothing more to add to this subject.

Hasta yeah this has been beat pretty bad but i must say i run 32x1150 mt's now and i def notice the wheeze factor. i plan on re gearing to 456 before i go up to a bigger tire, i really feel its a necessity talk to rawbrown for gears he is pretty reasonable...im gonna hit him up when i can afford it

It seems no one even thinks about trying to do engine mods to gain more torque and HP before they throw gears at it! Sure Of course you will need gearing with 35's but up to 33's" should be mostly overcome by HP mods

I've seen 4.0's spittin out just over 300 HP with a new cam/roller rocker setup, Super High flow exaust, Ram/cold air induction, Bigger Throttle body, Tricking cooling sensors,and a tweek in the computer, 304 HP HEHE this was on my 94 YJ runnin 33's 3:83 gears whoo hoo I still miss it but cant wait to get my XJ to that point......

Super Low gears and Lockers are Cheating LOL :eek:)

Read the thread posted above.

Power won't help you crawl. Your torque converter won't allow it without the proper gearing.

HAHAHAHA!!! I have a 2000 xj with a re5.5 and 2" extra added onto it... sittin at about 8" of lift....with 35" MTR's and stock gears. Works fine for me.... gets me where I wanna be and through every trail I've been on. Was gonna regear but I'm planning on getting a tow rig this year and theres no way in hell I'm gonna polish those turds. Once I get to cali i'm gona start building up a set of 60's and buyin wheels and tires.... 40" MTRs are next. Junk those turds and gay suspension and go coil overs on all 4 corners. Still gonna keep it registered for street driving too! :scared:

sure stock gears work fine for you. BTW when was the last time you actually used overdrive? All the time when I regear someones Jeep with bigger tires I "jokingly" introduce them to overdrive.

OK on your 2000 XJ that you wanna go 35"s. start saving for a new axle because first off the 8.25 back there has small brakes, has shafts that I wouldn't recomend anything over 33"s on. and it only goes as low as 4.56 gears, which is good for a 33" tire but not a 35" tire. a D44 or 8.8 can go higher than 4.88's but thats the limit in the front D30.

Big HP is fine and Dandy when your chuggin down the road, but that kind of power with an auto tranny on the trail is asking for issues. gearing is the best, safest way to go on your tranny and even your engine and fuel economy.

33's with stock gears sucks..... terrible power..... terrible mileage.... staying in ovd is a PITA....

regear first

yep, Witt is right. I havnt used drive in god knows how long... just keep it in 3rd around town and on the highway. Keeps my RPMs at about 3k at highway speeds. probably not the best thing for the I6 but it accelerates a little better

actually the I6 can spin 3k for long periods of time..... it has a relitavely short stroke.. no prolems there....
besides.. if u regear to 4.88 with 33's.... (what im gonna do) @ like 75mph i was tols you'd be spinning 3.1-3.2k.... so ya.. .dont worry about the higher rpm's....

what sux about not regearing is the added stress to your tranny.... it has to shift more... because the engine cannot keep up with the added load... (i'd get a tranny cooler (if u got an auto) if you move up in tire size anyways..... just a safeguard (damn..... now i gotta get 1...)

good luck

I ran 33" MT/Rs with stock gears for about 3 months and hated every minute of it...sucks both on and off road

Just save up the extra $1000 or whatever and do them at the same time as the lift/tires. Its worth it.

My XJ runs at about 2800RPM @ 75/80MPH with 33's and 4.56 gears. Its just perfect, but I wouldent mind 4.88's.

Back