• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious cost question?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The only thing really stopping me from going is money right now... But I've got two VERY GOOD possible Jobs for summer break.

Can someone give me a cost range for the event itself? All I really need is a place to park my junk (lived outta the XJ when vendoring at carlisle, so thats no big deal ;) )

wanna keep it as cheap as possible, but I know damn well that I'll SERIOUSLY regret missing this!!!

I can figure the travel costs myself. just need to know what I need (obviously, I want to have at LEAST twice that ;) )

Well, you can always camp for free if you don't want to stay with the majority of us at Slickrock CG. There's plenty of areas outside of Moab where you can throw up your tent for your stay. I think the tent sites in SCG are around $15, but I can't remember that part. Figure you're going to burn a full tank of gas appx every 3 days, plan on breakings some parts so that hopefully you won't, food costs will be determined by you as too how much you want to eat. You'll definately want a shirt and raffle tickets for the products raffle and the giveaway XJ. I'd figure on eating at, at least one of the Moab establishments and possibly more. Sometimes I just don't want to hassle with cooking & cleaning before or after a day on the trail. There's a little guidance for ya, hope it helps.

Sean

so, something like $1000 + travel expenses would take care of it and not put me in some kind of "omfg I'm stuck in utah with no money" situation?

I've got spare shafts and stuff like that (I'm probably not gonna be wheelin' the really hard stuff, because I gotta rely on the XJ to drive me 2400 miles home afterwards ;) )

I'd consider it lucky if a full tank of gas lasted 3 days!! :eek: I planned on fillin up at least twice a day!

as far as the tent... I got one... (the XJ ;) )

as far as the slickrock CG sites, is that around $15 a night or $15 for the duration? I don't really plan on being there all that long (2-3 days tops) simply because of obligations that I can't get out of.

this sucks, because I basically cannot say for sure until the last minute if I can actually make it or not :(

2 tanks a day? are you planning to drive to Salt Lake and back followed by 2 circuits on the White Rim each day?

;)

plan on $15 a night for the tent = $45, hit the grocery store before coming or the one in Moab when you get there for breakfast stuff and trail/lunch stuff $30 - $50 would get you plenty or Mcdonalds breakfast each morning for under $15 , then eat dinner in town each night $20 - $100 depending what/where you eat , so your looking at approx. $200 with a tank of gas to cover all the basics for 3 days.

I was under $100 last year for 3 days/nights including travel expenses since moab'zin the back yard and camping is free in places not far from town.

$1000, I can't say as I've ever had that much in my pocket before travel expenses. Especially if you're only planning on being there for 3 days. It's to bad you'll have 5-6 days of driving. If you're going to be leaving on Sun. morning you can tag along with us for the trip home to make sure you make it ok. We shoot straight across I70.

Cheap, I burn a 1/4 tank of gas in a typical day in Moab. This isn't our back east spin it til you make it cuz everything is covered in goo wheelin'. Moab is very controlled and easy going.

A few folks take up space in the regular spots and split them amongst a few people, I'm sure you could do that too. I would think that $100 a day would more than cover you and then an extra $300 in case you completely blow a tcase or diff.

Sean

I'm thinkin the G in case anything happens that I can't leave under my own power on the day I gotta go, and need a tow or something on the way back. Better to have too much than not enough ;) (i'm only overshootin' your estimate by $400, not too far off)

Also, my junk will likely pass 325,000 on the odometer on the way home, the motor and tranny (aside from seals) are untouched as of now ;)

i guess you're right though... I'm not used to wheelin' on dry rocks, but I still won't be quite geared right, and the ol' slushbox will be takin the brunt of it :( and since I'm well versed on the "spin it until you get it" method, I'll probably burn more gas than most :D

I still can't see how one tank can last the "trip", even just idling around, it's still 6+ hours a day, right? :confused:

definitely gonna be camp stove food... (one of my favorite things about "roughin' it", gotta have a good meal at night, but the less I spend, the better

I still can't see how one tank can last the "trip", even just idling around, it's still 6+ hours a day, right?

OneTon is right. The thing with Moab is that the trails are relatively close to town and you generally don't need much throttle to get around most of the trails (of course I tend to stay on the pokey trails :D ). For instance I did Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim last year in and out, started about 9:00 in the am and got back to camp about 5:00pm. Took about a quarter tank. You will have incidentals like going into town for chow or supplies or doing some sightseeing that will use up gas but that's about it.
Hope to see ya there!

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to spin tires on slickrock unless you want to spend that repair money. A good deal of Moab wheeling has as much traction as asphalt. You'll be fine with your gears and an auto tranny. Don't worry too much about it - Moab will be like nothing you've done before, and if you are only on the "moderate/difficult" trails, you'll be fine.

$30 of gas will get you through a few days at Moab, although the 4,000 miles you are going to drive to and from will run you a wee bit more...

Nay

I'll echo what every one has said. I've spent far more on gas to/from Chicago than on just about everything else put together (gas in Moab, food, campsite, etc.)

Back