• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk in Currie rear bearing area (long)

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Hi,

I haven't posted in awhile, though I've been using the forum for at least six years or so. I'd appreciate some advice with this problem, thank you.

About 90k ago I installed a Currie sye on the 242 tc on my '98, along with a great ds Tom Woods built for me when he was at sixstates. Lately, when I shift from park to drive or to reverse, or reverse to drive, or from neutral to either direction, I get a MAJOR clunk in the tailshaft area where the double row rear tc bearing is located. I had my girlfriend sit in the vehicle and do the shifting, and while she shifted, I could see the ds rotate a number of degrees - I couldn't really tell how much, but it was very noticable - until some slack was taken up and the BAM sound was made.

I installed the sye kit myself (with a little help from Beezil via the phone, sorry if it looks likes I'm a name dropper) and it's been fine up until this point. I'm not sure if the rear bearing is going bad, or there's something else worn inside and taking up the slack until it makes that horrific sound. What is also strange is that when I'm driving at speed, there's a point where if I let my foot off the gas to coast and slow down, I get a gosh-awful vibration until the revs drop below a certain point, and then everything is silky smooth again. The tc works fine otherwise, it really hasn't been abused or used that much at all, to be honest.

I think it was a minor miracle that I installed the currie sye successfully in the first place, and it lasted this long, but there's no way I can diagnose this noise. I can't tell you how greatfull I would be if someone could maybe suggest if something is about to grenade, or any other advice about this problem. It's my daily driver, and I'm almost considering waiting for something to pop just to buy some time (if that makes sense).

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Mike59 from/NY

Back