• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No front bump stops???

JEEPERCREEPER

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a 4" lift and presently do not have any rubber bump stops in front. Without them, if I "bottom out", what do I stand a chance of tearing up..ruined shocks or ??? Hockey pucks work from what I've read??? Mount one or two up in the coils and "adhere' them in place???? Thanks!

Yup, you're on the right track. Adhere in place with copious blobs of silicon, or sink a hole in the middle and use a self-tapper through the original bumpstop pad.

JEEPERCREEPER said:
I just installed a 4" lift and presently do not have any rubber bump stops in front. Without them, if I "bottom out", what do I stand a chance of tearing up..ruined shocks or ??? Hockey pucks work from what I've read??? Mount one or two up in the coils and "adhere' them in place???? Thanks!

Well questions is will you bottom out? Check your shocks and cycle your suspension with your tire on and see what happens. For me, my tires act as my bumpstops :D

I'm kinda thinking the along the same lines as you are. I'm installing 3.5" coils and have the original bumpstops. I also have a set of RE "hockey pucks". Should I bother with them or just run with the original. I wheeled it with 2" and stock bs, had good stuffing of the front tire and good droop. Will this be effected drasticlly with the new bs? :dunno:

Urban Redneck said:
I'm kinda thinking the along the same lines as you are. I'm installing 3.5" coils and have the original bumpstops. I also have a set of RE "hockey pucks". Should I bother with them or just run with the original. I wheeled it with 2" and stock bs, had good stuffing of the front tire and good droop. Will this be effected drasticlly with the new bs? :dunno:
It all depends: I have nicely trimmed out fenders (as in a fair amount of sheet metal missing) so I don't have to worry about that. The tires themselves rub on the upper part of the coil towers which limits the stuff thus saving shocks. So all it comes down to is playing with the suspension and seeing where it rubs or doesn't rub and then making the decision.

Urban Redneck said:

RE 5.5" XD by next summer, maybe by the end of this summer.
Urban, you are good Sheeple.
Hasta.

To get this thread somewhat back on topic...

I think what you want to try to avoid is using your shocks for bumpstops. I think there may be a couple brands that have an integral bumpstop, but most shocks will be ruined by using them that way. A well set up lift kit will extend but also lower(in relation to the chassis) the range of movement of the axles/shocks by using longer shocks, so the extended bumpstops should be sized to prevent bottoming.

Back