• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ruff country problems

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I think that I will buy a ruff country lift off ebay, has any one had problems with their's?? I don't want people telling me that i need to go with ome, or r.e. I just want to hear real problems that people have had with these lifts, by the way i am using rancho 5000 shocks, not the ruff country shocks.

i had a rc lift on my first xj i got it for 100 bucks from jcw and it is still being wheeled hard today by the new owner :thumbup: i think it is a great first lift

I installed a Rough Country 3" kit a couple weeks ago. Along with it I went with 1" shackles in the back and a 1" coil spring spacers in the front. I used the Rough Country shocks also. The back was the aal and the front coils were well made. I also purchased the lower control arms for the front. The install went great (except for the typical rusted/broken bolts, etc - no fault of the kit). The ride is super, not harsh and no vibes or death wabble. I did not install a transfer case drop or sye. My XJ is an '89. With my new 31" tires, everything turned out well, looks and drives great!!

the jcw kit comes with a 1 in block if i were to do it again i would get a shackle lift to replace the block. i had 1 in blocks on my current xj and broke them twice

90whitexj said:
my rear leaf springs are all bent to hell and out of shape after 6 months of driving.

Short aal that came with my RC 3" lift was the worst thing I've done to my jeep so far :twak:

i've had my 3" rough country lift for two weeks and i love it. it was pretty strait foward install. i took it out to Knoxville public lands and had no problems with it. i recommend using air tools and a spring compresser if possible, makes things go a lot smoother. good luck

from what the kit says ( i know this makes no sense) use either the short aal OR the block, but not both. I used the short aal kit w/o the block and the front and back went up the same amout, the block would've been too high.

btw I've had it on for about a month, and haven't really had any problems. This is my first lift though, and we'll see how long it lasts. The good thing about this product is that it helps us get a foot in the door inexspensively. I am sure this lift will be replaced by a better one eventually.

My front swaybar connects are screwy (post-lift), I am gathering data to correct that now. I still have the stock shocks on, they get to full extension real fast and clunk (have the new shocks, will be on soon).

My rear ujoint is binding (slightly) when it first gets a load on it, so I think I need to drop the t-case, or get an sye or something, I am trying to find some info on that right now actually. IF anyone knows, feel free to let me know! Thanks.

placed a ruff country 3" on my 96 XJ sunday. have vibration already to get rid of. I guess a transfer case drop will be coming with new set of lower control arms. has any one used products that MAKO sells on ebay?

Don't use spring compressors, there very scary and you certainly don't need them.

im not speakin for the person who wrote this post but we did the lift on my jeep, twice now and so we know what it takes to do it. spring compressors are a last resort for us but when he raised mine to 4.5 they were almost a must. believe me, if we dont have to use them, we wont.

I've had the RC 3" lift installed on my truck about a year now. Was a pretty straight-forward install and haven't had any problems at all.

It came with the Short AAL and Blocks, we went with the short aal not the block, and after about 9 or 10 months the leafs sagged a bit making the rear sit slightly lower than the front.

Other than that, no real issues with it thus far.

im not speakin for the person who wrote this post but we did the lift on my jeep, twice now and so we know what it takes to do it. spring compressors are a last resort for us but when he raised mine to 4.5 they were almost a must. believe me, if we dont have to use them, we wont.

Gee I've never used them even on 8" coils, but thanks for telling me I needed them. :wstupid:

I used spring compressors for my 3" coils. Then again, I'm all man. :roflmao:

i've had mine on for about 9 months now. it has done pretty well. the rear has sagged a bit..down to about 2 1/2" from 3". i am going to do the dakota leaf conversion this summer to get rid of the short aal, and get some spacers for the front to even it out. i have a 95 and there are very minor vibes at 45-50 mph. but they are very minor. for the price, i am satisfied with it. hth.

The rc lift is junk if you want to wheel in rocks. I bought their 4.5" lift with the spring pack and the rear sacked 2.5"! The only pieces I have left over from the entire lift kit are the the rear break line extention.

Back