• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just removed the intake silencer/venturi

Just an FYI. If Go-Jeep told me i could fly like a bird by running around naked and doing bird calls.....I would do it. His information is always well researched and presented.

HTH

Rev

There are two negative impacts of removing the venturi, neither of which is all that critical. You may notice an increase in noise coming from the airbox at partial throttle. You will get a slight drop in the vacuum that pulls the crankcase gases out and sends them back through to be burned. In theory this could cause an increase in the blowby oil leak problem sometimes seen, but I have no proof.

I removed mine about 18 months ago, and to be honest I can't tell any difference from stock. In fact, if I ever run across it in my shop I will probably put it back because at one time I thought it may have hurt response off of idle. It certainly didn't cause any drastic problems, but I couldn't tell any improvement either.

red87cherokee said:
I removed mine about 18 months ago, and to be honest I can't tell any difference from stock. In fact, if I ever run across it in my shop I will probably put it back :) QUOTE]

Well according to this well researched site from a NAXJA member, ( http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/intake.html ) that I would not argue with, it is good for 2 hp along with the bigger airbox hole if required. Not much but it comes at no cost and every bit helps. Removing a restriction from the intake can never take away performance.
;)

old-man, remember that no replacement intake that use cone filters or otherwise come with this venturi either. No reports have ever been shown to indicate a blow by problem from them so you can rest easy my friend. ;)

Last edited:
Rev Den said:
Just an FYI. If Go-Jeep told me i could fly like a bird by running around naked and doing bird calls.....I would do it. His information is always well researched and presented.

HTH

Rev

Show of hands, here. How many would pay to see that?!

Pitched mine about 6 mounths ago. (damn DMC extra parts) I'm for getting rid of any extra parts. They say they added that intake restriction to make my jeep quieter? I don't like ANY part of that! I home brew fixed my blowby before doing it, and it hasn't come back since. It's a little noisier under the hood, but I tend to spend more time in the cab when my jeeps running (go figure). I can't hear anything from it in the cab.... but I do have a Flowmaster muffler..

Bones

BTW thanks agian Go-Jeep!

Homebrew Blowby Fix..?

Would you please expand on this? If you mean by replacing all the vacuum lines and CCV port, cleaning out valve cover and replacing the valve cover's gasket, then I understand. If otherwise, I am certainly requesting expansion.

Thanks.. Sorry for the HiJack.

KG

Homebrew blowby fix... yeah basically what you said. I wasn't looking to pay for the dealer fix so I re ran all the valume lines, re-seated the valve cover, changed the oil filler cap to one with a fresh seal, and sealed anywhere else that looked like it leak air pressure with tape or RTV sealant.

Works for me so far...

Bones

wow talk about dragging a post up from the dead...anyways i went to do this on my '01 and i dont see any silencer there, i've look at go-jeeps pictures a bunch of times and where he pulls the silencer from i can stick my hand straight through it. Did late models not come with a silencer or am i just not doing this right?

jsk2052 said:
Did late models not come with a silencer?

you have your answer right there buds

Yeahh, I thought I missed something too, When I bought my 98 It was not in there, or I took it out sofast I forgot I had one.

Rev Den said:

HTH

Rev
Agreed. He knows what he's talking about.

Back