• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tuning FirestikII antenna

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Are there any tricks out there that someone could use to tune the SWR of an antenna w/o an SWR meter? Does anyone know of a place that will lend you a SWR meter or perform the tuning for you? This is my first CB and I had no idea how complicated it was and was hoping to avoid buying a SWR meter while still obtaining good reception and not frying my setup. Much thanks to all who help/advice.

Cheers,
Nick

I just set the screw in the middle of the farthest in and farthest out. Any time I have used it, other people have said it sounds fine. Just my .02

SWR meters are like $15 at Radio Shack. Just go buy one. My local CB shop tunes my antennae for me for free, but that;s because I average about 2 antennaes per year from them ;)

SeanP

To tune your antenna accurately to is max potential, you'll need a SWR meter. You can pick one up here at Radio Shack . I bought one on sale for $24, and have used it more than I thought I would.

Once you do set up the SWR meter and begin to tune your Firestick, be sure to slip the plastic end cap on the antenna while reading values. You'll get different values with the end cap off, than you will with it on.

Ivan

is that why i am getting static? when i accelerate the static gets worse from my cb. and the wiring is fine. Does this mean i need to tune of antenna?

sjx40250 said:
Sorry,

RS SWR $33.95! >$15
Well, that link points to the swr/power meter. You need a plain swr meter which should run you about $15 from almost any cb place (unless you get all fancy). Btw, think also about it this way: tuning is not a one time job: you smack it long enough, swap the cb, redo the cable or a combination of those and you'll have to retune it (Or at least check it)

If you have a Local truck stop ie. Petro, Flying J, TA or most other truck stops. They usualy have swr meters for 15 bucks er so. Or they will have a cb shop at the least.

I've used every antenna thats made and a firestick is by far the worst ever.
I have been using cb's for 35 years, all the firesticks I ever used were non adjustable.
I haven't been around them for the last 5 years though, maybe they make an adjustable one now. I could talk and hear twice as far with a 5' Francis, and they are cheap.

^^^^ Yep Francis "hot rod" is by far a better whip. Cheaper and really no need to tune, just toss on a 4in spring and go. They are tuned from the factory with a 4in spring. Firestik will handle more power (5' 1000) the francis (5' 275) but majority wont ever see over 20watts anywho on a tuned CB. A francis 5' will cost around 20 bux and a 4in spring is around 10. 30 bux or so and you are ready to rock, toss the stik

MG_43 said:
maybe they make an adjustable one now.

like stated above they are tuned from the factory for 4in springs (depending on you are using the amount of coax that is stated in the text) They are adjustable like any other solid fiberglass whip by cutting but usually isnt needed. FYI

Back