• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. Fan Connector

Drewlee77

NAXJA Forum User
How in the world do I disconnect the aux fan? I see that it has a red "slide" and a tab... but it won't come loose no matter what I do. Is there some trick to it I'm missing? I'm trying to put a new belt on and I can't get the idler pulley bolt loose.

Also, do I need to loosen any other bolts in order to tighten the belt? It doens't seem to make any difference no matter how tight or loose the tension adjuster bolt is. Man I suck at this. I wish I had enough money to just pay someone to do all this junk for me. :bawl:

what year XJ? my aux fan doesn't have a red slide thingy. i just had to replace a belt on my '87. not as bad a job as i had imagined.

Drewlee77 said:
How in the world do I disconnect the aux fan? I see that it has a red "slide" and a tab... but it won't come loose no matter what I do. Is there some trick to it I'm missing? I'm trying to put a new belt on and I can't get the idler pulley bolt loose.

Also, do I need to loosen any other bolts in order to tighten the belt? It doens't seem to make any difference no matter how tight or loose the tension adjuster bolt is. Man I suck at this. I wish I had enough money to just pay someone to do all this junk for me. :bawl:

Fan Connecter:
The red tab slide out a bit I use a little screw driver to help pry it out but be careful not to break it and then theirs a pinch tab you need to press on the end of the connector and then pull apart.

Belt Adjusting:
Theirs two bolts, the one on the front of the idler pulley I thinks it’s a 16mm this will allow the pulley to be moved and the bolt that adjust the belt 15mm.

Xman

It's a 2000 btw... I keep forgetting that my signature vanished when they reworked the forums.

Anyway, the tab on mine just doesn't move... I'll mess with it more.... I was hoping for one of those magic bullet answers.

So the adjusting bolt does nothing unless the idler pulley bolt is loose? That would explain it....

Thanks!

Drewlee77 said:
It's a 2000 btw... I keep forgetting that my signature vanished when they reworked the forums.

Anyway, the tab on mine just doesn't move... I'll mess with it more.... I was hoping for one of those magic bullet answers.

So the adjusting bolt does nothing unless the idler pulley bolt is loose? That would explain it....

Thanks!

The red tab is hard to move try using a screw driver to help move it. Yep

Got it! I feel rather silly. I was trying to pull up on the tab rather than push down on it. I thought I had tried that...

The moral of the story is this: Whenever you get really frustrated with something - just leave it for awhile and come back to it when you are calmer. It makes thinking easier!

Thanks for the help! I no longer have a squealing belt. It's nice. Now to move on to the bigger fish.... (See "AC/ Electric Fan Woes"!)

Drewlee77 said:
Got it! I feel rather silly. I was trying to pull up on the tab rather than push down on it. I thought I had tried that...

The moral of the story is this: Whenever you get really frustrated with something - just leave it for awhile and come back to it when you are calmer. It makes thinking easier!

Thanks for the help! I no longer have a squealing belt. It's nice. Now to move on to the bigger fish.... (See "AC/ Electric Fan Woes"!)

Good to here you got it fixed.

Back