• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Springs - Lift Q's, BigOffroad 4"

Deaver

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 with an ARB front bumper and XD9000 winch with synth line. I will swapping axles as part of the lift process.
I am making my shopping list for lift components. For those using BOR's 4" leaf pack (assuming 7" lift with ORGS shackles, empty), What front springs are you using or would you recommend?
I am looking for a balanced level ride.

Last edited:
Deaver said:
I have an '01 with an ARB front bumper and XD9000 winch with synth line. I will swapping axles as part of the lift process.
I am making my shopping list for lift components. For those using BOR's 4" leaf pack (assuming 7" lift with ORGS shackles, empty), What front springs are you using? I am looking for a balanced level ride.

I'd combine them with RE 5.5" coils. I don't think you'll get 7" with ORGS shackles and BOR 4" springs. I'm getting about 8 1/4" with BOR 6" springs and RE 1.25" shackles (unloaded). Unloading a couple hundred lbs of gear raised the rear less than 1/2".

I doubt you'd be much over 6" with the 4" springs. Also keep in mind that the BOR springs ride pretty tight with no load - they are designed for additional weight. You don't need 350 lbs to make them "softer", but they are more optimal at about 200 lbs additional weight, IMHO.

Nay

Thanks for the reply, Nay

The 7" assumption was based on a BOR's web info. 4" (springs) + 1.5" (empty) + 1.5" (shackles).

In you opinion, would the RE1345's be the correct spring rate to use? Do you think adding ACOS adjusters would be required?

Thanks again

I'm running BOR's 4" springs with the ORGS dogleg shackles in back, and RE 4.5" ZJ coils up front. It's balanced at 6" lift fore and aft. Custom4x4 bumpers with an XD9000i up front.

ChiXJeff said:
I'm running BOR's 4" springs with the ORGS dogleg shackles in back, and RE 4.5" ZJ coils up front. It's balanced at 6" lift fore and aft. Custom4x4 bumpers with an XD9000i up front.

That's exactly what I would have expected: 6" front and rear. The ORGS dogleg shackles are 1" of lift. Spring rate wise, the ZJ coils should be a perfect combo with the BOR leafs. I run the RE 4.5" ZJ with my BOR 6" leafs, plus 1.25" of spacer, and the spring rates are nice. I am going with the 7.5" RE XJ coils since I'm at 8" of lift, hoping for a bit more stiffness, but that's only because I have 8" of lift.

Get the rubber bushings with the BOR leafs to help save your kidneys.

Nay

ChiXJeff said:
Do you have a tire carrier? Do you think Chevrolet pickup shackles would be long enough? They are about 1.5" longer than stock giving about .75" lift.

Yes, I have a tire carrier. For the 4" pack, you REALLY need dogleg shackles, though. It's not just the length of the shackle, there's an interference with the body that the dogleg avoids.

BTW, I don't necessarily agree with rubber vs. poly leaf spring bushings. I've been running poly in mine, and my street ride is okay (over 40,000 miles on these springs.)

I ran the poly for about 2 years. Offroad, my springs were putting so much force on the shackle that they compressed and bent the steel bushing sleeve in the upper bushings. Way too much resistance. The rubber is worth the extra $$$.

Nay

Ralph said:
Do you have a tire carrier? Do you think Chevrolet pickup shackles would be long enough? They are about 1.5" longer than stock giving about .75" lift.
What yeara of Chevrolet trucks?

Back