• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do I want 35s??

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
I will soon be going up to 6" lift and tj flares. My dream has always been to have 35s..And i do want to get there someday, that is why I have the setup that I do. My issues are that 1. This is my dd 2. I am not sure what my gear ratios are, I am thinking 3.73s, (i did that formula they give you to figure it out, and that is what I got) I am just worried about spending a boatload of money that can be applied elsewhere and not liking the results. I have 32s now, but with 6" of lift and tj flares, they are going to look like donut spares....what do you guys think? Anyone on here running 35s with a stock setup. I know it is feasable, alot of wranglers are running 35s or bigger with a :puke: 2.5L !!!

ChuckD said:
Your gears really need to match your tire size. With 35's at a minimum you need 4.88's. Onroad you can get away with stock gears, but you rarely use your OD. Offroad will suck, lots of tire spin and axle or tcase breakage.

HTH

Are you being sarcastic? I did 35's with 3.55s for over a year... I'd say it sucks more on-road (mileage wise), but I didn't break anything because of it and wheelin's not that bad!
Billy

Thanks everyone for replying. I, by no means, intended people to squabble over this topic. I have a great amount of trust from the accurate advise I have been given in the past on this board. OK, so obviously this is not feasable with my gears. I am a newbie, don't know very much about regearing, and I don't even know where to look for gears. How hard is it to swap them, even?

Last edited:
JeepFreak21 said:
Are you being sarcastic? I did 35's with 3.55s for over a year... I'd say it sucks more on-road (mileage wise), but I didn't break anything because of it and wheelin's not that bad!
Billy

What's sarcastic about it. I didn't say it was good, I just said you can get away with it. As you see I recomended regearing in my first sentence. Sometimes people need time to regear like yourself, and if your rig may be a DD you can still get to work with stock gears and 35's. That's all I'm trying to say. But gears are required!

Clear now, :D

ChuckD said:
What's sarcastic about it. I didn't say it was good, I just said you can get away with it. As you see I recomended regearing in my first sentence. Sometimes people need time to regear like yourself, and if your rig may be a DD you can still get to work with stock gears and 35's. That's all I'm trying to say. But gears are required!

Clear now, :D

When you say, "your gears really need to match your tire size" and "gears are required!" it makes it sound like you're saying you can't drive without regearing. Maybe I misunderstood, but when I was first getting into this sport, I would have been really discouraged if I thought that I had to save up the whole lump sum before I could do anything :)
Thanks,
Billy

Jenny, whats up? I had stock gears w/ 35's for awhile, its not that going to hurt anything. mileage will suck!, and like they said you really wont need OD. Your junk is not going to self destruct or anything. My friend Mike owns Powerhouse automotive. in Girard, we set up gears have been for the last 8 years out there. PM me on EJP if you need the number.

Well, to answer the question YES you want 35s :) Not really an advantage to going with 33s instead of 35s. You're going to need to regear (eventually) with either, both drive fine, and you lose precious axle ground clearance with 33s.

I don't know what all else you have done to the xj, but if you're deciding between 33s w/ money for skid pates/rockrails etc or just 35s, then get the 33s and skidplates. If you got skidplates and rockrails already then get the 35s then save up to regear and add a locker at the same time if you want one then.

Back