• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about lift and some other things

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I have an 88 XJ laredo that I've been wheeling around in. I would like to start looking for a newer one sometime, and I like the appearance of the newer model XJ Classic (especially the flame red or silver). I've read that they have a stronger unibody and a decent motor, not sure if they have HO? Would a late 90s classic be a good XJ to lift also? I've been reading countless numbers of threads and it seems the majority like Rubicon Express over "sky crapper",etc. I was thinking anywhere between 4-6" of lift. The skyjacker 6" rock ready kit seems to be an ideal package, at a high cost. While I'm not sure if the RE 4.5" or 5.5" includes everything, like longer brake lines,etc. Maybe that's how they suck people into paying large sums of money for lifts? I would have to get a SYE with any lift and then a newdriveline, because it would be shortened. The differential would need lower gear ratios,etc. As far as transfer case lowering and a SYE, do I need both? I realize the transfer case drop is much much cheaper and easier to do, but in the long run I've read on hear the the SYE, well...eliminates all the vibrations, which would be nice since this would be a daily driver and not off road all the time. I have also read that lifting affects steering and that would need to be "adjusted". What would I need to have this done? I've seen an OME steering stabilizer or something. Am I forgetting anything other than the larger tires/wheels? I don't want to get a lift and then forget something and have it break and have to repair something that could have easily been avoided. Sorry for the long post, just eager to learn. Thanks

Nah, no need in throwing money away if you plan on going bigger in the future. Sounds like you are off to a good start and headed in the right direction to me. Just jumping right into the project has always been the best learning experience for me - of course, you always run into problems, but that's a part of life. Instead of going with a smaller lift, get what you want or need now, but be sure to learn it's driving characteristics before going straight out and testing it's limits. Just take your time - don't be in a hurry.

Thanks guys. Anyone else want to jump in and answer some questions for me in my original post? All input welcome, thanks in advance.

you have alot of questions that I've seen before, try searching around a bit and see what you come up with. That being said, when you lift a vehicle, you change all of the associated steering and drivetrain geometry. it's hard to say what you'll need to do until you actually lift the vehicle. Example: I did not even need a tcase drop with my 6" lift on my 87. Other's have used full SYE's to help with vibration. As far as what you haven't yet thought about, if you're going to be doing some serious wheeling, don't buy a brand new vehicle just to start swapping out brand new parts...like axles, suspension, etc., it just doesn't make sense to me.

I won't be able to do constant "serious" wheeling, because it will be a daily driver. I'd just like a decent sized lift that'll look good on a nice XJ and still perform well on the trail. And I like the look on the newer classic models. Thanks for the information on the SYE and transfer case drop, I was thinking it was required for it, that's what I get for reading magazines.

hold on a sec. those magazines were right about the SYE and Tcase drop. On newer models, the slip yoke is shorter, and you'll get vibrations with much less lift (at least that's the consensus and the experience of members of this site). In my case, my 87 didn't need any alterations to the rear driveshaft, although I may go SYE in the future due to the better design.

I just got done with my first lift on the XJ, it sits about 5" Before i did my Jeep, i did a lot of search, that's what i recomend you do, because there are tons of posts about new lifts, first lift, and ect. And another thing about SYE, ever XJ is different, i don't know why but it is, i seen people drive with 5.5" lift and now Drive Shaft or SYS and Tcase drop and no vibes, but when i put my 5", i had bad vibes till i grinded the yoke, they kind of went away, but then i put a T-case drop and now it drives as smoth as STOCK XJ. My expreience telling me that if i go more then 6.5" on my XJ i am going to have to get SYE, because yoke is going to come out as soon as i start driving it. So like others said jumping and doing it is the best way to learn, and gain expreience with XJ. About stearing, yes you gonig to have to adjust it, first of all you going to have to fix your TOE, because when you lift it the toe will go in more so that will give you fun DW, wich i hope nobody experience in their live time. After lifting it you can adjust toe yourself and then take it to alignment shop so it be aligend. Well if you get complite kit, you really don't have to worry about anything else, but if you get it by pieces, then you need buch of small things, to make you XJ lifted right and not to worry about anything braking.

Thanks for the info, I've been searching the site a lot over spring break and it has helped. My major decision is whether to save up for a new XJ, or lift my 88 laredo with 170k miles. I'm not really looking forward to getting a new motor, but if it'd be easier to lfit and the engine would for sure be cheaper thne a new XJ, I don't see why not. What do you guys think?

Back