• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on changing the oil filter on my Auto trans?

MAP

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of changing the transmission oil filter on my 99 XJ with automatic.(AW-4)
Since it's almost at the 100,000mile mark, I figured it was time to change the filter, although I've been good about draining the pan and replacing the fluid several times.

It looks like the pan doesn't use a gasket. I get the feeling it uses only silicone. This makes me think 1) it will be a pain to remove without denting the pan, and 2) makes me question whether I want to install the cork gasket or use silicone again.

The transmission is completely dry... there's absolutely no leaks from the pan or any other part of the trasmission. The cork replacement gaskets always seem to leak after some time.

Any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks,
MAP

I have changed the filter only once in 190,000 miles.That was at 40,000 and this was the first fluid change after I bought it used.
I do have the tranny flushed every year and that averages 25,000 miles.As the filter only screens out the big hunks I would just keep on doing what you are.
YMMV
Wayne

If you buy a new tranny filter, it will come with a paper gasket. I used to change my tranny filter every other year but after the third time doing it and noticing that there was nothing on/in it, I stopped and just drained and filled every other year. I'm at over 300K miles on my AW4 (1990) and when I checked the filter last year, it was clean. I'd go with what Wayne says.

i wouldn't worry about the filter either unless...
the fluid is really nasty and "burnt" pull the dipstick and wipe it on a clean white cloth thenyou can see what is in it

Back