• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help for new guy!

CheapJeep98

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I want to lift it pretty high like maybe six or eight inches. I wanted to know some nice lifts and accessories that you people might know of. I also want to know what I might need to do to lift it. I do not know to much just yet, so I am asking for some advice from you pros out there. Thanks: A friend and Jeep lover

rubicon express makes very good, complete kits that allow you to flex excellently and still have a nice ride on the street. They are pricey but they are very well engineered. The only down side is I think the biggest lift is a 5.5" but it's usually a bit higher than that.

There are much cheaper lifts but you get what you pay for and since your jeep is so new I'm sure you want it to remain a nice driver. If you want bigger go with something like a skyjacker setup.

No matter what, get a slip yoke eliminator and removeable sway bar links if you want to go off-road.

Last edited:
$3000 is not going to be enough to do it right unless you can do some fabrication yourself.

$1200 longarms, front and rear springs, shocks
$300 steering
$500 SYE and shaft
$600 gears (add another $300 if you have the D35, then you need a D44)
$750 35" tires
$200 steel wheels
$400 armor

then figure in the extra couple hundred bucks of undexpected stuff that always comes in, and you're at more like $4k or more.

You can check out Rusty's Off-Road Products too. That is, if price is important. :gag:

http://rustysoffroad.com

You can get a complete 6.5" spring kit and (4) 33-12.50 for $1766.

Remember you get what you pay for:paperworkI have bought several items from them and they are very helpful on the phone:exclamati

With $3000 you would be better off going with a 6" and 33's. In my experiences I have also grown to like Rustys Offroad. They have a 6.5" full spring pack kit for $1000, or a 6.5" long travel kit for $1600. If your really wanting to go higher, they have a 8" long travel kit for $1855. Rockkrawler.com also has a good deal on an 8" severe duty long arm kit for $1949. You just need to decide on how seriuos the t/r your wanting to hit and how much your willing to spend on the other stuff. If you stay with 6.5", you'll still have enough to upgrade the rest of your system enough to get you through some rough crountry. You would be surprized how far 33's will get you, especially for when your just getting started.

Last edited:
Even with a 1988, at 6" or 8" you need at a minimum a new driveshaft and slip yoke, and you really should have a SYE (which also requires a new driveshaft).

Also, a minimal lift to those heights will require an adjustable track bar and new (preferably adjustable) upper and lower control arms. Even with the adjustables, however, the control arm angles will be steep (especially with an 8" lift) and a long arm conversion will ride and work a lot better.

Perhaps this is time to back up a half step and ask what's driving the desire to go from zero lift to 8 inches? Do you need that much height for the trails you want to run, do you think you need it to run a particular size tire (maybe you do, maybe you don't), or do you just want to "go big" because it looks cool?

For the SYE and drive shaft, Offroadtoystore.com has an AA SYE and Tom Woods shaft for only $474. If anyone can find a better package for less, shoot some info. this way.

I'd say go with a 6in kit at the most but a 4.5 would work well with TJ flairs and 33 you can get a nice long arm kit for about 1300 that will let you grow when you are ready for geras and such that you will need when going bigger.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/xjsystem.html
Then you can get a sye and some tires and wheels to enjoy for now. if you have 3.55 gears its liveable with 33s but wonce you regear you it will open you eyes realy wide.

I have been running the Rusty's 4.5" spring pack kit and BFG MT/R 32x11.50's for about 2 years. I regeared to 4:10's and that's pretty much it. I have alot of extras, but as far as drivetrain goes,I haven't gotten too extensive. The lift and tires compliment each other well with great articulation and rough t/r capabilities. I'm very pleased with this lift and it takes me every where I want to go. I may eventually up grade to a 6" and 33's, but for now I'm very happy. I agree that 8"'s and 35's or larger looks good and is much more capable of doing stuff mine can't, but like I said, mine takes me every where that i want to go. Like what has been mentioned earlier, you need to look at the t/r you want to cover, but you also need to consider your experience in 4x4 driving you have. Nobody wants anyone to get hurt on the trail because they have more vehicle than they can handle. You can always upgrade later, but if you role your Xj, you have to start all over again, if your not hurt too bad. I don't mean to preach about saftey, but after all, your health determines YOUR capabilities.

Another possibility is running leaf springs up front. This is a bit more extensive in the fabrication department, but is possible. There is no "kit" persay, but if you know how to set it up, front leaves can be very effective.

I'll be going that route in awhile, and I currently have rubicon express 5.5" coils with a 1.75" spacer.

Also, I've heard that Rubicon Express is coming out with a 7.5" coil soon or it's already out.

Best of luck,

Scott

I'm in the same boat as you and I think i'm gonna run the 4.5" SF kit and maybe get some bigger springs and drop brackets and run 33's with 4.56's

Back